what moss is this?

blake_diehl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Blake Diehl
i know this looks alot like java moss... but i harvested it from a field behind my house awhile ago. it was growing under a thick layer of tall grass in normal soil and it was almost completely dry. i dont think java would grow like that...

moss.jpg

otherwise it looks amazing in the tank so if anyone sees something wrong with it... please let me know before i introduce any animals.

I think it's fine. Actually Java Moss will grow very much like that in a very humid atmosphere (i.e. not in the water!).

Blake, my understanding of mosses is that they are fine for amphibians as long as you don't use bog moss - Sphagnum - which can be too acidic for some amphibians. The one in your picture is definitely not Sphagnum, just some sort of regular moss, so it should be fine.

Tristan

I go out constantly and look for moss, I have done it for years. I allways use moss from outside and despite what some people say I never had any problem at all, just some un-wanted spiders..eewww I find stuff like that in areas of just the right sun and not much water at all. My favorit is the realy thick fluffy kind that is short and almost sponge like.

that moss is really nice, haha (I don't think I have ever complenented someones moss before). It is like shag carpet for newts!

Whenever I get moss (except for my ridiculous amount of java moss) it dies in about a week. does this happen to you? Do you guys have any strategies for keeping it alive?

I was allways told by the best to use distiled water to spray it down and lots of light. I went on this path and I never had anyproblems, I can get moss to grow everywhere. I once saw a article way back about useing butter milk and if you desire fertilizer to get it to grow on anything.

For some reason I like moss, when I go on hikes and stuff I allways just gaze a mossy clifs with water trickling down. For some reason its soothing to me but I have been told I was weird.:D

Moss is very, very prehistoric, and adaptable with lifes changes as long as it never gets to cold.

I thought a little bit,studied the stuff i had, and realized, it's alot like spagnum moss, because i found mine in a soggy place next to a pine tree

wish i had taken a photo before i moved it, but like john said, java moss can grow really nicely out of water when its humid enough, i had a lovely spikey kind of tussock on a pretruding stick which broke the water surface, I will be doing that one again, im just changing the tank abit, before I install a cooler..

For some reason I like moss, when I go on hikes and stuff I allways just gaze a mossy clifs with water trickling down. For some reason its soothing to me but I have been told I was weird.:D

Moss is very, very prehistoric, and adaptable with lifes changes as long as it never gets to cold.

Not weird at all! Gazing at nature in action is very healing - it is very therapeutic for anything stress related. It also helps relieve pain! :cool: :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back