What plants work well in a lotl tank?

zombieaddict

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alice in Wonderland
I want to put a lot of plants in my tank and had intended to use trimmings of the ones I have growing in my existing tank. Then it occurred to me that plants in a heated tank might not do so well in a considerably more frigid one.

So my question is this: What aquatic plants stand up to the cold well? I would like to have a variety including something to use as a carpeting and something floating. Then of course there's everything in between. I'd rather hear advice from people speaking with experience than figure it out through trial and error.

Hornwort and jungle val both winter over in my outdoor pond, so they're obviously cold friendly.

Ive got Java ferns in with my axie, theyre a little slow growing but theyre doing just fine :)

There is a whole list on hee somewhere of plants that do well in axie tanks - suitable for low light and cool water. Try a search or wait for me to find it and ppost a link!

Anubias Nana
Anubias Isabelle
Anubias Barteri
Java Fern
Java Moss
Moss (in general)
Lilaeopsis
Eleocharis (Hairgrass)
Congensis
Riccia
Narrow Chain Sword
Elodea
Hornwart
Water soldier
Marimo moss balls

As long as it does well in low light, and is freshwater it should be okay :)

I prefer anubias, java fern, and amazon swords. I got rid of all the rest of my plants especially hornwort because hornwort was shedding all over the place. very unsightly.

Water lettuce is pretty for floating.

There is a whole list on hee somewhere of plants that do well in axie tanks - suitable for low light and cool water. Try a search or wait for me to find it and ppost a link!

Was it this?

At the moment I have :-
Cryptocoryne becketti
Vallisnaria gigantean
Eleocharis parvula
Hygrophla difformis
Elodia densa
Rotala rotundifolium
Pisita stratiotes
Aponogenton natans
Microsorum ptteropus
Taxiphiyllum barberi
All these are doing very well in my C pyrrhogaster aquarium at room temperature in the UK (60f at the moment) so should be fine in a coldwater tank. I'd say they're slower growing at this time of year but seem to be fine otherwise!

Not the same as the list that layna posted, with the list that layna and I posted and others mentioned there should be plenty to choose from. Hope this helps! :D. -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back