Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What should I be feeding my 7-9 month old Axolotl?

AxieFantasy

Reaction score
My Axolotl is 7-9 months old (I’m not really sure) I feed him a bloodworm cube whole every other day once a day, is there anything else he should be eating with it? Any tips? Should I be feeding him more than once a day? Tell me everything you know and give me brand names for food

EllieWind

Reaction score
Bloodworms aren't a good staple food for axolotls since they don't have much nutritional value (think of them more like potato chips). I recommend feeding chopped nightcrawlers or red wrigglers (most nutritionally complete), or you can feed trout pellets or axolotl-specific pellets.

AxieFantasy

Reaction score
Bloodworms aren't a good staple food for axolotls since they don't have much nutritional value (think of them more like potato chips). I recommend feeding chopped nightcrawlers or red wrigglers (most nutritionally complete), or you can feed trout pellets or axolotl-specific pellets.
Know any good brands or where I could get these?

wolfen

Reaction score
until your axolotl is fully grown he/she ideally needs feeding daily, also one block of bloodworm is quite a small amount of food (unless your axolotl is still quite small).
other foods are worms ie.. earthworm, wrigglers etc.. most can be got from bait stores, fish ie.. platy, guppy, moly etc.. these can be got from pet shops, always observe 30 day quarantine, shrimp ie.. river, ghost, cherry etc.. these can be brought online or pet shops, always observe 30 day quarantine, frozen food.. these can be a variety of meat based food ie.. bloodworm, krill, mysis, brinshrimp, beefheart, chopped cockle/mussel, chopped prawns etc.. these can be got online or pet shops, pellets ie.. axolotl, trout, salmon, carp etc.. these can be brought online, pet shops, bait store etc.. best to make sure they sink and are soft, also some trout, salmon, carp pellets can be quite high in oils so best to observe contents.

EllieWind

Reaction score
Know any good brands or where I could get these?
I get my worms (nightcrawlers) from Walmart or from gas stations, as long as they come from a farmed source they're safe to feed to your axolotl. I don't normally use pellets, but you can find them online from a few different sources. Several breeders I know make and sell their own: Northern Axolotls, Gillywater Aquatics, Rocky Mountain Axolotls, and Twin Cities Axolotls to name a few.

EllieWind

Reaction score
And how many should I give him?
For feeding worms I feed juveniles about a 3rd of a nightcrawler every day, and adults half a nightcrawler 3 times a week. For pellets it mostly depends on pellet size, but I'd say around 5-8 pellets every day for juveniles. If they start looking too fat, feed a little less. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1