Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What species?

rebel

Reaction score
Not much to say I'm afraid. was clearing out all the rotten leaves and overgrown elodea in our little outdoor wildlife pond in our garden and came across a newt. He seems healthy and with all the worms and other insects in the water, i can see why.

Does anyone know what species it is along with any possible information about it? If it helps, i live in the Surrey, England if hat narrows down the possible species type.

Attachments

• P1010196.jpg
    P1010196.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 396
  • P1010197.jpg
    P1010197.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 478

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s Ichthyosaura alpestris and it seems to be female.

MarioR

Reaction score
It's a female alpine newt - Ichthyosaura alpestris.
The dots on the chin are typical for the subspecies apuana which comes from Italy. I know there are population of apuana in England but I also know, that there are specimen of the nominate form, that have spots. Who can help?

Regards,
Mario

xxianxx

Reaction score
It will be a criminal offence to return that newt to the wild as it is an invasive species, better put it in a tank and try to find a few more lol

jasper408

Reaction score
It will be a criminal offence to return that newt to the wild as it is an invasive species, better put it in a tank and try to find a few more lol

That was NOT what I was expecting. :D

oceanblue

Reaction score
Here is a link about it
Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group - Alpine Newt. If you have already returned the newt to your pond noone is going to come chasing after you for breaking the law, but someone would like to test it for Chitrid. There are a lot of them out there.

In general the UK advice if you find a newt is to leave it alone unless you are sure it is not a great crested one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!