What stage is my eastern newt in

Cookiebowl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I am new here, and new to amphibians in general. My daughter found this newt on a path in the woods. I thought it was an adult and it spent most of the first week in the water in the tank. This week it's almost always on the turtle dock or an Java fern above water. Sometimes it seems more orange and other times more olive. It can certainly stay submerged for long periods. It eats frozen bloodworms and Jurassic newt pellets. Can someone please confirm what stage it is in? Ty

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211010-102852.png
    Screenshot_20211010-102852.png
    3 MB · Views: 252
That’s an adult in its aquatic phase. The adults do frequently come out of the water to move to different water bodies or if the water is evaporating. I would say check your water parameters for excess ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and also make sure you aren’t keeping him too hot. If all that is fine, and it doesn’t have any other conditions that could alter its behavior (it looks very healthy to me) it’s probably just it’s individual preference to be more terrestrial than many eastern newts are. But like I said the adults do go onto land

Ty so much! I truly appreciate the information!

Hi, sorry to bother again. As I mentioned above , my newt seems to prefer sitting out of the water. Though last week it spent hours there. I'm enclosing another picture, as I mentioned, it's color sometimes seems more orange. Just double checking that it is in the adult stage and has what it needs. My water temp is 68 and everything else seems fine. Ty

Attachments

• PXL_20211011_182113544.jpg
    PXL_20211011_182113544.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
yeah, the lighter orange and slick smooth skin suggests it's in an aquatic phase, he is probably just being a lazy little lad haha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back