What the hell is going on??!

sam1014

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Sam
My beautiful axi Melvin died this morning.

This is my second axi to die. I dont understand it, i'm not doing anything wrong!!!!!
Temperature - fine.
Parameteres - fine.
I clean the tank out every week and get rid of any leftover food whenever i see it.
I mainly feed Red Worms, but i sometimes feed frozen bloodworm (which i defrost first).

Basically i'm fed up, i just feel like i'm a complete failure, but i know i'm doing everything right. My other axi died randomly aswell.

Is it possible that the axi i've got now may have some kind of disease thats killing off the others? Because not too long after i had Charlie, Gizmo died, and now not to long after having Melvin, he's died too.

I recently got Charlie out the fridge as his gills starting almost breaking off, he seems ok now, eating and swimming around and i'm hoping his gills grow back.

Since i put charlie in the fridge, i've been doing daily partial water changes to make sure my water is ok.

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!! I don't want charlie to die too.
I still cant believe Melvin has died :cry::cry:

I've just realised something.

Before Gizmo died, he started swimming erratically and landing in funny positions and just staying there. Also he lost his appetite.
Melvin has been doing that too, i thought that it was just a coincidence and maybe thats just his mad personality...obviously I was wrong :-( Regarding eating, Melvin only stopped eating a few days ago, I thought that was just normal cos' i know they go off their food sometimes.

Not sure if this is any help.

I've just checked dates and its got to be something to do with Charlie.

Charlie was put with Gizmo just over a month before Gizmo died. Now, Melvin has been put with Charlie pretty dead on a month and now Melvin has died. They'd both died in the same way showing the same signs. Pretty strange. Any suggestions???

Hi Sam,

Firstly really sorry to hear about your 2 axies :(

I am no expert on diseases etc but can I ask did you quarantine your new axies for at least 30 days before introducing them to each other as because from the sound of it everything you have been doing has been right so it has to be some sort of disease/bacteria etc that has killed your other 2?? Is Charlie your new axie??

Last edited:
Thank you.

No i didnt quarantine any of them, and was obviously my biggest mistake.

Basically i had Gizmo (my first one) for a good few months, then at the end of August i got Charlie and put him in with Gizmo. Beginning of October, ( a month later) Gizmo died. Charlie was then on his own and doing just fine. Then mid February i got Melvin and put him in with Charlie, now a month later, Melvin is dead. They both shown the same signs with the erratic swimming etc. Surely thats not a coincidence? I deeply regret not quarantine them.
Surely if Charlie does has some kind of disease, wouldn't it have killed him? Cos' its obviously deadly.

Thank you.

No i didnt quarantine any of them, and was obviously my biggest mistake.

Basically i had Gizmo (my first one) for a good few months, then at the end of August i got Charlie and put him in with Gizmo. Beginning of October, ( a month later) Gizmo died. Charlie was then on his own and doing just fine. Then mid February i got Melvin and put him in with Charlie, now a month later, Melvin is dead. They both shown the same signs with the erratic swimming etc. Surely thats not a coincidence? I deeply regret not quarantine them.
Surely if Charlie does has some kind of disease, wouldn't it have killed him? Cos' its obviously deadly.

We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up the important thing is you have now got this forum to help you and to learn from :)

As for what Melvin & Gizmo have died of that is not within my areas of expertise sorry I can only think it is some sort of bacteria/disease that Charlie has BUT you say he is fine apart from his gills ?? Is that fungus do you know and how recently did that start as if you have had him since August and he has been fine I am unsure? Do you have any pictures at all and did you axies show any other signs apar from the eract swimming??

Am hoping someone with more experience with axie illnesses will pitch in soon.

Sorry to read about your problem.
Here is a few questions, hopefully we'll spot something.:D
Could you post a picture of your tank set up for us ?
What do you have in your tank?
What where/ are your current tank parameter readings?
Where did you get your red worms from , are these earthworms?
How do you clean your tank?
Are there any chemicals used in the same room as the axolotl?

Last edited:
Thank you for both of your replies. I shall try my best to answer all your questions.

Charlie has been fine apart from his gills which only started just over a week ago. He has white stuff on his gills and there were breaking away so i immediately fridged him and gave him a few salt baths. It seems to have solved the problem, there is no more stuff on his gills and he's back in the tank and seems to be fine, eating well and swimming around.

The only signs they shown was the erratic swimming, and landing in funny positions, almost doing head stands sometimes and then just staying there like they couldn't be bothered to move. They also seemed to lose their appetite. There were no other signs.

In my tank i have various ornaments, rocks, three fake plants and two real plants.
The temp is usually on about 20.
Here are the readings:
N03 - 10
N02 - 0
GH - 8
KH - 3
PH - 6.4
Cl2 - 0
Ammonia - 0
Its about an 80 litre tank and I use a Fluval U2 filter.
I get my red worms from a local fishing shop. I never used these when i had Gizmo so don't think they can be the cause. I asked the guy for earth worms and he gave me the Red Worms and said they're the same.
I clean my tank once a week by syphoning out about 20% of the water including any mess i see and replacing with fresh dechlorinated water. I also use a magnet thing to clean the glass and every other week i clean out the pump in the water i syphon out.
The only chemical i use is deodorant which i tend to use on the other side of my room.

I dont think i've missed any out.
Going to try and put a couple of pics up now.

110yyb9.jpg

This is very strange and I'm so sorry for your loss of a second axolotl. I'm afraid I don't feel I'm experienced enough to get you answers. :( But out of curiousity, did you get all your axolotls from the same place?

It seems that you are doing the right thing, though the water is a bit on the soft side.
Are the items in the tank for use in aquariums ? Could there be something that has leached into the water?

No i didn't get them from the same place.

Yeah everything is for aquariums. Well the platform is actually for turtles but surely that doesn't make a difference, plus I never had that when i had Gizmo.
I'm very glad to hear that i'm doing nothing wrong, I still feel really bad though.
I'm starting to get a bit paranoid now about Charlie. I've been watching him today and he just doesn't seem himself.
I'm definitely not going to put another one with Charlie, don't think i can risk or face losing a third.

Is there anyway i can find out if Charlie has any kind of disease?

I am sorry for you losses :( It is always sad loosing an axolotl.

I am thinking that Charlie must be a carrier of some sort of bacteria or virus that killed the other two. He may be immune to it? Or just stronger than the other two and hasn't shown signs of the disease yet? It seems that little Charlie is the common factor here.

I am sure it has to do with not quarantining your critters before introducing them together because it seems to be the only mistake that has been made. Bacterial and virus infections are sometimes invisible and often are internal. So it is hard to look for signs of infection.

The pH is also a bit low... I'm not sure how axolotls stand up to more acidic conditions. Usually axies like it anywhere from 7-8.5

Sam, sorry for disappearing had to go out this PM. Again with everything you answered for Julia all seems good so has to be Charlie just is so strange!

Just wanted to say your tank set up looks great and love the platform!!

Thank you for all your help guys, I really do appreciate it.
Is there anything you would recommend me do with Charlie? I'm never going to risk getting another Axi now. It's ashame cos' I bet he's lonely.

If there is a chance he's carrying some form of disease maybe get him to a vet? They might want a poop sample to see if it's something internal.

Thank you for all your help guys, I really do appreciate it.
Is there anything you would recommend me do with Charlie? I'm never going to risk getting another Axi now. It's ashame cos' I bet he's lonely.

Axies are fine on their own but know what you mean!

As Erzs has suggested maybe a vet is the way to go as the fact Charlie is fine is amazing but is just too much of a coincidence!

Good luck!!

I feel that your pH is too low and would get it back to 7. The low pH is acidic and can be deadly. Slight basic conditions are supposedly ideal.

Water changes should initially bring the pH up. I'd do some extra ones to solve the pH problem. I'd also jot down the parameters each time you test so you've got a record.

A piece of coral can help bring the pH up and provide pH stability.

I'd also check your tap water's parameters in case there is a problem with that.

Do you use water conditioner? That might help.

Just keep an eye on him and look for signs of infection. As the others have said, if you can find a vet they may be able to test for infections and parasites present within him, you should take him and get him tested.

So sorry for the loss again :(

Ok thanks for the advice.
I'll do an extra few water changes and keep checking my parameters.
I'll also enquire at my local vet to see if they know much about them.
I don't suppose snails could have anything to do with this. I've noticed I've got loads.

I use tapsafe, is that the same as water conditioner?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back