What to feed, scandinavians help me out :)

Beate88

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Have had my axies for about a week now and trying to figure out what to base their diet on.

Bought a pack of frozen red larvae. Blood worms I guess is the english term for it.
Is this enough for them now that they are growing? I feed them about half of one serving twice per day, morning and evening.

Can I put some wild guppies in there for some exercise and stimulation? The spine of the fish wont hurt them? I see some people in here does that so I guess it's "allowed" :rolleyes:

Oh, and you scandinavians, if you would give me some tips on where to get the food in our pet stores? "our", i think we have a bit more limited selection than the us, but I could be mistaken.

Hi,

I think you are talking about the same thing that we use here in the States - frozen bloodworms.

How big are they? Unless they are tiny, you should only need to feed once a day, whatever they consume in 20 minutes or less.

Other food options include nightcrawlers (live ones), red wigglers (angle worms - may not be available in your country - I am not sure), sinking salmon pellets (Rangen or Zoo Med Newt). Check this out - maybe give you some other ideas - Food.

They are about 12 cm I believe. Any suggestions to age when they are that size?

I don't think we have nightcrawlers here. Havent seen anything with that name. What are they?

I'd say they are less than 6 mo. of age. Maybe between 3 and 6 mo. old - axolotls grow at different rates so it is difficult to give an exact age.

At this size, they can handle live. If you look at that link I gave you, it shows a picture of nightcrawlers - we also call these earthworms if that helps. Babelfish says the translation is meitemark.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back