What type of larva is this

mmfh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday I visited a semi permanent pool in central pa. It contained many water predators, some toad eggs, a few small and dark tadpools, as well as these tiny black things that were all laying on their sides. They have a head with bumps that may be gills. The tail is flat side to side but they dont appear to have legs. They dont look like any larva pictures I have seen on here so I was wondering what they were.
1366937530.jpg

Thank you.

Could you provide a clearer picture? one up close?

Pretty sure that's a newly hatched tadpole. Could be a toad or frog tadpole. Some species of frogs have dark tadpoles in the early stages and toads have jet black tadpoles till they just about morph.

I would also say a newly hatched frog or toad tadpole

Ty everyone for your responses. As they develop they are indeed looking like tad:errr:pools. In all my years I have never seen this stage of tadpool, feel kinda silly but at least I can learn lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back