Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What type of Warty newt is this?

Cfigliola

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got this newt a few days ago, sold as a fire belly but I'm certain he's a warty newt but I don't know what type?

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• $_1.jpg
    $_1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,512
  • $_1j.jpg
    $_1j.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 341

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It looks identical to newts i've seen labeled as P.hongkongensis, but that doesn't mean they were labeled correctly.

I wish people would stop buying these WC newts, particularly from shops that can't even be bothered to do better than "firebelly". When that shops gets replacements, they are not going to have a good future...

Cfigliola

Reaction score
very warty

p.chinese. i think

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't but him from a shop. I for believe in wild caught either! I got him off someone that thought he was a tropical phib. I think as shop sold it to him stating this (they never know their stuff) which obviously isn't true. I thought I'd do the little guy a favour and give him a proper setup. Just curious as to what exact specie he is?

Cfigliola

Reaction score
When I said he was sold as a fire belly I mean the seller not the shop. Although they probably did the same to him just to make a sale.

The preious owner had very little knowledge on newts. HE thought he was a c.oriental but I know he's from the warty family.
Any definite answer will help. I've tried self assessing him but I'm still not sure. I don't think he is a hongkong or a Chinese.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1