What will distilled water do to my axolotls

iplaythebassoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am away from home and have asked my mother to house sit my animals while I am away. She put distilled water in my aquarium even though I asked her to add spring water. She put two gallons into a 20 gallon tank. So only 10% is distilled. Am I going to arrive home to two dead axies? A crashed aquarium? Freaking out right now.

Some people use distilled water for household aquariums because it lacks the chemicals found in tap water supplies. It is important to supplement distilled water when using it for fishkeeping; it is too pure to sustain proper chemistry to support an aquarium ecosystem.[5 Hi just found this little snipet on wikipedia, i imagine you might be ok if it is only 10 percent, is the tank filtered, if so i would imagine that the filter will still have lots of benificial bacteria to handle the 10 percent. the article above says to supplement the distilled water , i think this would be the case if you were using it regularly, but maybe if its just the once then hopefully you will be ok

It will be fine, no worries. Were those 2 gallons a water change (i.e., she removed 2 gallons) or was this replacement for water evaporated? Distilled water is recommended for replacing evaporated water, since evaporation leaves all the minerals behind. A partial change with distilled water will probably not reduce the mineral content to any significant degree.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back