Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats a kaiser's spotted newt??

K

kara

I saw ads for a kaiser spotted newt on Kingsnake...what is the species latin name? They are really pretty, and I am interested.
Any info appreciated.

A

andy

Neureragus Kaiseri...do your research, they're not what i'd call a beginner species. And only get them if they're c/b! (and you have lots of spare money!)
wink.gif

D

dane

you can find some posts in the species section in the forum and in cc

E

ester

Kaiseri are pretty. They are one of my favourite newts to look at as well. A very beautiful pattern and colour.
However, if you were thinking of buying some I'd say wait until there are more captive bred animals available. There are a few people on the forum who keep this species and are trying to breed them. You can read all about it in this part of the forum: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/330.html?1170854251.
Wild caught adults are expensive and have a very low survival rate.

K

kara

Thanks Andy, Dane and Ester. I have never seen this species before, and yes, the are very beautiful. Does anybod know of anyone who keeps this specie?

J

jennifer

There was an import of CB kaisers from Europe to the US last year. I think it will be some years until there is sustainable production of this species in the US (if ever). I have avoided them thus far because of their cost and their reputation for sudden inexplicable death
shocked.gif

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have it on good authority their should be an import of c.b. N. kaiser this summer to the U.S. They are expensive and some people have problems with them. Some people say they are easy to keep. I wouldn't go that far. I'm giving them a crack and hope to breed them but it probably won't be this year.

K

kara

Good luck mr. Shrom, I have seen many of our animals on king snake, very beautiful!

ryan

Reaction score
I checked out the ad on kingsnake, pretty pricy for me. If I had the money I would look into getting on though.

C

charles

I have been talking to the guy on kingsnake and he said they are CB, he even sent me a care sheet for them. I might get a pair, I'm not for sure.

H

heather

Really off topic, but how does one go about importing newts from the UK to USA (I would LOVE some CB Taricha, though I am sure the cost and red tape are pretty prohibitory).

C

charles

yeah, I was set on getting a pair, but the unexpected death is what gets me to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!