What's easier: aquatic or terrestrial?

Which is easier: aquatic or terrestrial?

• Strong preference for aquatic setups.

Votes: 94 32.4%
  • Moderate preference for aquatic setups.

Votes: 61 21.0%
  • No preference either way.

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • Moderate preference for terrestrial setups.

Votes: 52 17.9%
  • Strong preference for terrestrial setups.

Votes: 37 12.8%

• Total voters
Another vote for terrestrial for many of the reasons already listed. No water changes, no testing water parameters, and terrestrial is easier to clean up.

Aquatic installations are more showy usually those acuácticos animals are much more assets than terrestrial, but I think that a ground tank is easier to maintain, change of substrate, spraying water occasionally, good ventilation and a pair refuges is all you need.

My fire salamanders usually don't hide, they are usually out in the open probably hoping for more food lol but I have them in a very low traffic area, essentially their own room in a rather cool basement. For many years I kept barred tiger salamanders and they would often stay in the substrate partially but as soon as the lid was opened they would come up for food. To be honest, I don't spend a lot of time watching them as mentioned before they are not in a communal area. I enjoy spending 10-15 minutes a day watching them as they feed and when their enclosures need maintenance and that's enough for me. I also have a large collection of snakes keeping me busy, so if I had less animals perhaps I'd be more likely to spend large amounts of time looking at a single enclosure.

I find it easier to do a terrestrial, because it is easier for me to make sure all the variables are okay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back