Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's eating my plants?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's eating the leaves on my plants? There's only snails and shrimp in there at the moment that I know of and they live in all my other tanks without doing any damage, so it can't be them. Whatever it is must have hitch-hiked in on some plants or livefood.

Attachments

• SAM_6345.jpg
    SAM_6345.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 572
  • SAM_6344.jpg
    SAM_6344.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 439
  • SAM_6340.jpg
    SAM_6340.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 514

juraj

Reaction score
Oh, poor Echi!
It looks like winter stagnation to me, the snails are(ate) not guilty I presume.
J.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know, it's being eaten as fast as it grows!
I don't think it's the snails, but I will look up the exact species I have and find out if they are known to eat plants like that.

sde

Reaction score
It looks like snails to me. That is the thing with snails, they are harmless little guys who are interesting to watch and then BAM! They start devouring your plants. It has happened to me before.
I could be wrong though, I am human ;)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I have great pond snails in my tanks and they like to munch on my aquatic plants, I have found that vallisneria are their favourites, I also have ramshorn snails but they prefer to eat detritus and waste.

Stuart

Leansgirl

Reaction score
The snails will eat the plants. I used to breed snails and they will eat your plants if they arent getting enough food

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Currently noticing that all my tanks that have live plants have multiple holes in them lol

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Could be from snails. Also could be from poor conditions for the plants. Low CO2 levels. Low potassium and iron levels. Could be a combination of everything.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being as there's no newts in there at the moment I've been adding fertiliser, so iron and potassium should be fine. I've been feeding the snails a few pellets every day and the plants seem to have been left alone, touch wood.

mchivett

Reaction score
That looks like the work of snails. When I had them, I had to empty my entire tank and individually bleach each of my decorations. It's been a month now though and my new plants are thriving.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!