Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's in your field pack?

sde

Reaction score
Read this: Coyote attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think it is not their faults, the gun does not kill people, the person behind them does. In the same way coyotes can not be fully blamed for the attacks. Humans encroaching on their habitat, feeding them, intentionally or non intentionally. And usually its on children, not adults. I have no fear of coyotes, because I know that even to me, a 14 year old boy, they are virtually harmless. I remember that they are more afraid of me than I am of them. I just don't like the fact that he killed an animal because he was in its territory and it wanted to keep an eye on him, that's all.

I don't take toilet paper, because I am only in the field for a few hour(s) at a time. But it is definitely a great thing to have if you are going out for a longer while!

jaster

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a gun or not, for me or the people I am with. Having one around is the only way to get shot though. Where I live there are bears. Seven years and haven't seen a single one. I've had one friend who told me about seeing a mountain lion, but they haven't been known from this area in 20 years. Personally the risks of being armed for me outweighs the chance of an attack. The only way I would run into pissed off mountain people would be by trespassing, which I never plan on doing.

Other than that, my essentials pack has changed quite a bit. I gained the preference to carry around a cooler, mainly for collecting mushrooms. It also holds everything else, pencils, notebook, headlamps, small maglight, lighter, pocket knife, ziploc bags, tons of wax paper, hand lens and a few trail elixirs to keep those mushrooms cool! I'm excited for next season to start with my new boots and converted camo soft tackle box. I'm planning to have an adventurous year.

sde

Reaction score
This is what is in my pack:

A orange collapsible net, it is 6 feet 3 inches long.
A smaller finer mesh net.
Gloves, the bright green gardener kind xD.
Two to three containers.
pen.
another pen.
pencil.
What i call i "drift catcher". Its a net with two strings attached that are attached to two stakes that go in the ground. it for when i am searching in a stream, anything that get past my net will go in it.
book.
Flashlight.
Compass.
My super trusty Gerber Bear Grills knife, in case i meet a wild man, or have my arm get stuck and have to fend off crows :p
wind detector ( scentless baby powder ).
Camera.
notepad.
and if i am smart, water.
And probably a few other things, but i don't remember all of them.

-Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1