Question: What's wrong with my axolotl

ShadeFx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tips of my axolotls gills have started going white, does anyone know what this is?
Worried that he may be getting sick
22851618_10214144026183513_658069700_o.jpg

If it's not fuzzy, then it's nothing to worry about. The gills don't have oxygen in the tips, because the axolotl doesn't need its gills to grow bigger. If there's plenty of oxygen in the water, the gills might even grow shorter.

However! I can't see it too clearly in your picture, but I think the white tips are fuzzy?
Then it's fungus and you need to treat your axolotl for it.
So... fuzzy or not?

Could you tell us what your water readings are for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrogen? It is possible there is something off with the water quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back