When and how to euthanize

loublue

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi. I usually come on here when my newt is having trouble and this time is no different. Unfortunately I'm not sure it can be solved this time, but the dilemma is to know when and how to euthanize. How do I know when the suffering isn't worth it for her?

I want to emphasise that I have done my absolute best to try and find a vet close to me who knows anything about these animals, but there are none. Last time I asked for help I was adviced to put her in a container of luke warm water. And the ones further away more or less refuse to say anything over the phone.

She's around 25 years old now, female japanese firebelly and has had trouble swallowing food for a few years ever since a hair accidentally got into her mouth and had to be pulled out. She seemed to be fine a few days after that incident, but has had trouble on and off. Now she seems to consistently be having difficulties and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know when she's had enough? When she has trouble swallowing she sometimes starts scratching her throat with her feet as if she's uncomfortable (she only does this when eating and sometimes when shedding so I'm sure of the reason). She also twitches a bit/makes more dramatic swallowing movements. I try to give her very tiny pieces of food and it helps to an extent, but she has trouble finding it if it's too tiny most likely because her eyesight seems very bad. It's earthworms that I cut up in tiny pieces because if I don't she would have big problems eating it.

I've read crushing the skull quickly seems to be the safest way to make sure they die quick, but if anyone has experience with euthanasia with these animals I'd really appreciate some suggestions since I've never done it and if it should come to that. Obviously I'm not encouraging anyone to do this on their own if they have an available vet to help them. But unfortunately I don't.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi!
If you already haven't made a decision, have you read this page? Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia
I hope it will give you some direction which way to continue. Unfortunately (and yet luckily) I have no experience in this subject and I guess the situation with vets is here the same, when the day comes...
I hope everything goes well, even if you have to do the hardest choice with the old lady.

Hi!
If you already haven't made a decision, have you read this page? Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia
I hope it will give you some direction which way to continue. Unfortunately (and yet luckily) I have no experience in this subject and I guess the situation with vets is here the same, when the day comes...
I hope everything goes well, even if you have to do the hardest choice with the old lady.

Thank you AuSu! When I googled I wasn't able to find that article although I remembered reading it in the past, so that's useful. I will wait and be attentive for now, but from what I could read in the article trauma to the head seems acceptable as long as it kills right away. Hopefully I won't have to do this anytime soon, but it's good to be prepared when the day comes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back