When do gills grow back

Day

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, this is the current state of my axolotl after a terrible Nitrate spike. A few days ago we moved her from a 36 gallon to a 20 gallon, with brand new fresh water using API quick start and Prime.
Levels are now: pH 7.6, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, and nitrate 5.0pmm.
Previously they were pH 7.8, nitrate 160pmm, ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.

** It was recommended by a few axolotl owners that I should add almond leaves to the tank. I made homemade extract instead and only put 16 mls of it in the tank. I got mixed instructions on either putting 1 oz per gallon or put 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. So I need help on the amount I should put in there

Put since the levels are fine, I’m assuming it just takes time her gills to grow back?

Attachments

• 089AE8C2-0EF0-4499-A8D4-F04501840278.jpeg
    089AE8C2-0EF0-4499-A8D4-F04501840278.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 397
what is your kh gh?
use 50% holtfreters in the tank water, if she has been subjected to high nitrate levels then she will require methyline blue baths to reverse the toxicoses.

what is your kh gh?
use 50% holtfreters in the tank water, if she has been subjected to high nitrate levels then she will require methyline blue baths to reverse the toxicoses.
I’m not sure since I thought those tests were only for aquariums with plants, which mines have none of.
This doesn’t quite answer my question though of when gills usually grow back.

the reason for methyline blue is because high nitrites and high nitrates affect the blood.
50% holtfreters makes the water more comfortable and will help prevent fungus, this is to give optimum conditions for gill growth.
it takes a few months for the gills to fully grow back, although because of gill damage it isn't unusual for them to grow back abnormally ie.. sporadic, split/antler looking.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back