Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where are all the plethodontid keepers?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Temps in their retreats are likely a few degrees cooler than air temp, of course, But still quite fascinating.

So what water temperatures do P. ruber like then?

Reaction score
Temps in their retreats are likely a few degrees cooler than air temp, of course, But still quite fascinating.

Exactly. So when it is 80+ Fahrenheit outside and I am finding Plethodon albagula or Eurycea longicauda melanopleura under rocks and logs, the temps under these rocks and logs should be at least in the mid-70's.

Aneides

Reaction score
I currently keep:
WC Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica
WC Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi
Very easy to keep.

Aneides

Vort

Reaction score
Currently keeping a single P. Cinereus. Looking to find something in Eurycea once I can find another cinereus, and they've settled into their new lives. I'm noticing P. Cinereus is not liking temps in the upper sixties, and climbs around on glass as a result, unless he is under something and feeling secure.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
To update, I've bred 11 and had eggs from 2 more now. Gyrinophilus is the only genus that has evaded me entirely. I'm not sure if I have pairs or not, which does impact the likelihood of breeding severely :)

Sorry, miscounted in my head. 20+1 subspecies. Bred 7 and had eggs from an 8th which I am very very bitter about losing this year.

Aneides aeneus
Aneides flavipunctatus (niger)
Aneides lugubris
Bolitoglossa conanti
Bolitoglossa rufescens
Desmognathus aeneus
Desmognathus monticola
Desmognathus welteri
Ensatina eschscholtzii
Eurycea bislineata
Eurycea longicauda
Eurycea lucifuga
Eurycea wilderae
Gyrinophilus p. porphyriticus
Gyrinophilus p. duryi
Hemidactylium scutatum
Plethodon glutinosus
Plethodon petraeus
Plethodon yonahlossee
Pseudotriton montanus diastictus
Pseudotriton r. ruber

jaster

Reaction score
So what were the new species you got to breed (besides the greens)? Also, how much success has come from trying to breed Gyrinophilus? Never really looked into that.

I recently lost my only Plethodon :(

otolith

Reaction score
I have kept Aneides lugubris and had Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis breed in the past. I currently am only keeping European species and a handful of Taricha rivularis juveniles raised from eggs.

Lugubris

Reaction score
I have two A. lugubris and used to keep three B. attenuatus. I was planning on keeping only one A. lugubris because the other I found was stuck and injured, and I was planning on releasing him once I brought him up to a healthy weight and his broken arm healed. But they both have such a great personality. One of them has learned that the tongs I use to feed him has something to do with food and he will chase after it, flicking his tongue. The other one is like a monkey, climbing all over and even jumping from time to time. Their behavior is quite amusing and they have taken to captivity surprisingly well. The B. attenuatus I used to have did take food from tongs, but they were far more secretive and hated being exposed at all, so you would rarely see them.

ThatKid

Reaction score
The only salamanders I have are two Plethodon glutinosus, but I may be catching some P. Ruber next week if I decide against getting the Pacman Frog

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
So what were the new species you got to breed (besides the greens)? Also, how much success has come from trying to breed Gyrinophilus? Never really looked into that.

I recently lost my only Plethodon :(

Wow, sorry. I guess I'm a little late on replying to this! Only by about 8 months...

*Aneides aeneus
xAneides lugubris
xBolitoglossa conanti
*Bolitoglossa rufescens
*Desmognathus aeneus
Desmognathus monticola
*Desmognathus welteri
Ensatina eschscholtzii
*Eurycea bislineata
*Eurycea longicauda
*Eurycea lucifuga
*Eurycea wilderae
Gyrinophilus p. duryi
*Hemidactylium scutatum
*Plethodon glutinosus
Plethodon petraeus
Plethodon yonahlossee
*Pseudotriton montanus diastictus
*Pseudotriton r. ruber

I've bred the ones with a * by them. Had eggs from the x's. Got two clutches of conanti eggs developing now, but had some complications with their husbandry beyond my control...so cross your fingers. Of the others without success, the two big Plethodon are the only ones I don't have good excuses for not breeding (i.e. no pairs, insufficient numbers, etc.). They are not easy.

I keep 2 of each of those two Gyrinophilus subspecies at the zoo, but I'm still not sure how to sex them, and may not have pairs. I have never seen anything that looks like courtship, follicle development, reproductive behavior, etc.

As of early yesterday morning you can add Bolitoglossa salvinii to the list, thanks to heroic efforts on the part of my amigo and collaborator, Carlos Vasquez Almazan. Hopefully with John's help, caudata.org will be able to help up move our work in Guatemala forward too.

innoko

Reaction score
As of yesterday, I'm a plethodontid keeper! Fiance caught a slimy for me, Plethodon cylindraceus, my first salamander, too. But I love the plethodontids, when I decided to keep sallies they were what I really wanted--I looked at a bunch of mole salamanders and the like, but I just think the little plethodontids native to my area are so charming. Looking forward to setting up a viv for this slimy and hoping to keep more plethodontids in the future. :)

Warren Spencer

Reaction score
An Englishman living in the Netherlands.
I keep and breed Aneides lugubris and am interested to know of more European keepers of this species.
Cheers
Warren

Warren Spencer

Reaction score
Presuming you mean a photo of the Aneides,I have posted an image of one of the 2011 young in my album.
Thanks for looking.
Warren

TristanClark

Reaction score
I have kept p. ruber schencki, eurycea longicauda, plethodon cylindraceus, plethodon cinereus, plethodon welleri desmognathus carolinensis desmognathus quadramaculatus and desmognathus monticola. so i consider myself a plethodontid keeper :)

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Diversified collections a bit this year, so I will update:

*Aneides aeneus
xAneides lugubris
*Bolitoglossa conanti
*Bolitoglossa rufescens
Bolitoglossa salvinii
*Desmognathus aeneus
Desmognathus monticola
Desmognathus ocoee
*Desmognathus welteri
Desmognathus wrighti
Ensatina eschscholtzii
*Eurycea bislineata
*Eurycea longicauda
*Eurycea lucifuga
*Eurycea wilderae
Gyrinophilus p. duryi
*Hemidactylium scutatum
*Plethodon glutinosus
Plethodon petraeus
Plethodon shermani
Plethodon yonahlossee
*Pseudotriton r. ruber
Pseudotriton r. schencki
Urspelerpes brucei

Reaction score
Diversified collections a bit this year, so I will update:

*Aneides aeneus
xAneides lugubris
*Bolitoglossa conanti
*Bolitoglossa rufescens
Bolitoglossa salvinii
*Desmognathus aeneus
Desmognathus monticola
Desmognathus ocoee
*Desmognathus welteri
Desmognathus wrighti
Ensatina eschscholtzii
*Eurycea bislineata
*Eurycea longicauda
*Eurycea lucifuga
*Eurycea wilderae
Gyrinophilus p. duryi
*Hemidactylium scutatum
*Plethodon glutinosus
Plethodon petraeus
Plethodon shermani
Plethodon yonahlossee
*Pseudotriton r. ruber
Pseudotriton r. schencki
Urspelerpes brucei

Now, the ones with the asterisks are the ones you're sending to my house, right? ;)

jaster

Reaction score
I see you've upped the Desmogs a bit! I think they're my favorite genus to find in my section of the Blue Ridge. I even had a melanistic D. orestes a few years ago. That was very cool.

I would also like to try my hand at breeding Eurycea. I have all these unused aquariums that my head has been wrapped around. Thoughts of stonewall seeps and mossy creekbeds enclosed in glass...

As of right now, I'm only keeping a few frogs. Don't have the time or space for my salamander endeavors to get started. It's good to have dreams.

-Brad

Reaction score
Eventually, I'm going to make it down to the local introduced population of Desmognathus monticola here, and do my part to boost my salamander collection while at the same time helping out native species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!