Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to buy Daphnia?

Dixie

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy daphnia? I only had them once and it was kind of random I even came across them but I want some again for extra food for my aquariums! I found some online but it seems a bit pricey. Anyone know someone who sells them at a reasonable price and can ship. I live near kansas city missouri if anyone knows anything local but realize thats a real long shot!! Thank you!!

MnGuy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy daphnia? I only had them once and it was kind of random I even came across them but I want some again for extra food for my aquariums! I found some online but it seems a bit pricey. Anyone know someone who sells them at a reasonable price and can ship. I live near kansas city missouri if anyone knows anything local but realize thats a real long shot!! Thank you!!

Try your local fish club online or on Facebook. You're in a major metropolitan area, and someone is bound to have them even if they don't advertise it.

I've never purchased daphnia through the mail, but I have huge cultures of them in my yard in a stock tank and plastic pot. They are very sensitive to warm temperatures, and the population drops dramatically when it's warm. I would try to buy them locally before trying to buy them via mail.

I have a bunch and I never advertise them for sale. (I'm in Minnesota.) So, chances are that someone in your area has them as well. Post a want ad.

Good luck.

Dixie

Reaction score
Ok thanks!! I tried my only resource I know but will attempt to post on my fb group that is more local!

MrGremlinMan

Reaction score
I know it's an old thread, but dried eggs from ebay sellers or arizona fairy shrimp work incredibly well and are pretty cheap and guaranteed to survive shipping. Just putting it here for anyone else who looks here for answers

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I know it's an old thread, but dried eggs from ebay sellers or arizona fairy shrimp work incredibly well and are pretty cheap and guaranteed to survive shipping. Just putting it here for anyone else who looks here for answers
first, i’m in love with your pfp
second, i believe you’re talking about baby brine shrimp, not daphnia. theyre similar, but not the same. however, both are good food choices for newly hatched axolotls :)

MrGremlinMan

Reaction score
first, i’m in love with your pfp
second, i believe you’re talking about baby brine shrimp, not daphnia. theyre similar, but not the same. however, both are good food choices for newly hatched axolotls :)
U can get those too, but daphnia do lay dried eggs. They're all female, but occasionally make males in sub optimal conditions. The cysts float to the top and look like pepper a bit. Usually notice em when a jar is crashing. The water flea eggs on az fairy shrimp are a smaller species but they are in fact dried eggs

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
U can get those too, but daphnia do lay dried eggs. They're all female, but occasionally make males in sub optimal conditions. The cysts float to the top and look like pepper a bit. Usually notice em when a jar is crashing. The water flea eggs on az fairy shrimp are a smaller species but they are in fact dried eggs
oh cool! thanks for the info- I had no idea!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1