Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to get moss? Prevent mold?

HaleyM

Reaction score
So I have a Red Eyed Crocodile Skink which requires the same habitat layout as a dart frog or maybe say a salamander.
The problem I have been having is mold on my moss. Also a decent place to get moss in the first place! I live in FL which has no place for me to get safe moss outside. And there is no stores around that sell decent ferns or mosses.
Also I simply have no idea what kinds of mosses to get! Or how to prevent mold which is just terrible for my asthma.

So where does everyone here get their plants? And how do you prevent mold?
:confused:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get nearly all my plants/ferns/mosses both aquatic and terrestrial from ebay or other online suppliers. Compared to shop bought stuff the quality is far, far better and the price is almost always lower.
Regarding the mould problem I can only suggest increasing ventilation, but I don't have any dart frogs, so I don't know if that's possible or not. It might be worth doing a thorough clean out of the set up and sterilising or replacing the substrate and decorations before replanting with new ferns/mosses.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
There are thousands of species of moss, and may even be dozens present in the space of a few square feet. They often have specific and widely differing requirements for lighting, pH, moisture, and even particular minerals or substrata. Sphagnum, for example, may have several species in the space of a few inches, with one species completely under water, and others progressively higher and further above the water surface. This is why mosses often mold in a terrarium - the habitat is wrong, and they die. The trick is to find species which prefer high nutrient, high moisture, low light conditions. Some of the prettiest species that are abundantly available thrive in humid but well-drained conifer forests, on dry, acidic substrates in low light...so they die. You can certainly find samples outdoors, and if they survive they should spread. My main concern would be pathogens, such as fungi, which happen to thrive in natural habitats similar to where "terrarium" mosses will grow. I prefer to collect well away from amphibian habitats, but warm temperatures can eradicate some of the known pathogens. Look for a variety of forms from a variety of microhabitats, but especially those similar to the cage environment. Then see what grows. Anything you succeed with, you may have a market for! Otherwise, aquatic mosses from nature or the pet store will often do well, even on land, and there are also frog and exotic plant dealers in the USA and online who can provide suitable tropical species.

Fumanchu

Reaction score
I have some Java moss you can have, unjust needs a small pool of water or heavy moisture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1