Where to start?

Allie23

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm new to this site so hello everyone!
I have an empty 4ft tank and wanting to get some axolotls!
How many axies will fit comfortably in a 4 ft tank?

Welcome to the forum! I've never kept axies so I can't be sure but I would guess one per foot.

The general rule of thumb is one fully grown minimum tank size is 2 foot, 10g, 60cm long. That is the absolute minimum. It is then generally add one foot for each new axy. I will have three fully grown in a 90cm x 40cm tank and I wouldn't put any more in that tank size but three definitely are comfortable in there.

So, for a four foot, you could probably have four fully grown in there comfortable.

And welcome to the forum, it's lovely to have you join us! :)

Thanks guys, now I just have to find some somewhere that sells them.
Everywhere around the central coast is "out of stock"
The only other place I found is Windsor hatchery and I am not paying $30 for a tiny axie

Just wondering how many gallon/litters is the tank ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back