Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which algae species make green water?

Molch

Reaction score
I've decided to try an algae green water tank to feed the Daphnia. I want to get a starter culture to speed things up (Wards has some), but which species? Here is what they have:

- Euglena acus
- Euglena gracilis

- mixed algae (Chlamydomonas, Oscillatoria, Pandorina, Scenedesmus, Spirogyra, and Ulothrix)

any of these, or a combination?

also, how long after setting up a tank (a la BioNut's Daphnia Farm thread) before I can start harvesting green water?

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
i just bought a whole Daphnia culture kit from ebay. its much cheaper than wards and already comes with a culture of the algae needed.

BioNut

Reaction score
also, how long after setting up a tank (a la BioNut's Daphnia Farm thread) before I can start harvesting green water?

As soon as you can not see the back of the tank.

As for the rights species of free floating algae I am not sure what it is.
Check out the Ebay daphnia kit, its a good deal.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Spirulina is a good one.

Have you seen Jenn Macke's Daphnia Superfood Recipe?

If you were going to buy cultures, I'd go with a mixed culture. It seems like a varied diet would be more nutritionally beneficial.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1