Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which one to choose?

DeCypher

Reaction score
I have been thinking about different types of food to get for my red-spotted newts, and I would very much love a food that I can 100% rely on and know that if I put it in the tank, it will be eaten. I have been recommended frozen foods. Would this be a good choice for my species? If so, what would be the best type?

Nathan

Reaction score
If you're just trying to get picky eaters to start eating, frozen bloodworms are a great choice. There are also live foods that survive indefinitely in the tank, so you won't have issues with decaying food; these include daphnia, cyclops, scuds, blackworms, bloodworms, baby shrimp, etc.

However, none of these are nutritionally complete. You should offer your newts a varied diet. There's always a chance they'll refuse certain foods. You just have to offer them and see, and be ready to clean the uneaten food out if necessary.

DeCypher

Reaction score
I've already got live blackworms which they love. I'll try to get some frozen bloodworms or something like that. Thanks!

DeCypher

Reaction score
Well the only one out of that selection I have tried is the blackworms which they take to pretty well. I guess I could try frozen bloodworms or daphnia. I've seen them at pet stores in the freezers. I'll pick some up later. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!