White fungus?

ShaneZampire

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am totally new to aquariums and axolotls so I have a few questions. A summery of how I got here tonight.

Toward the end of February, my 12 year old son bought an aquarium and everything he thought he would need. March 1st he bought 2 axolotls at Repticon and added them. We added live bacteria, and all that. First and second week our ammonia was up to about .5 for a couple days then dropped off as our nitrites went up to about 3.0 to 5.0 for a few days. Then the nitrites dropped off and nitrates went up a little. We have lots of plants. We do 20% - 25% water changes anywhere from 2 a day to once every 2 - 3 days right now.

Everything has seemed to be going perfect till the past 4-5 days. The black one looks to have just lost most the gills on one side and the white one had white on the tips of one that now has jumped to 2 and maybe 3. We started salt baths 3 days ago and they may be getting better? We have been using a cotton swab gently removing what it will allow us to in the salt baths.

My questions are...
Is this the common fungus that axolotls get?
Is the fungus in the aquarium now?
Can we add anything to aquarium to rid it of it?
Do I need to fridge them?

Are we even doing everything right? His set up is listed below..

20 Gallon Long with about a 5 gallon aquaponic to help remove ammonia, nitrates and help with good bacteria
Slate tile bottom
Canister filter with foam, ceramic, and filter floss
2 bio foam filters
HOB filter
All low flow as to not make currents
Ammonia seems to stay below .25 at all times
Nitrites usually below 1.0 but has jumped up to 3.0 last few days (been using Prime till it drops back safer)
Nitrates usually stay between 20 - 40
GH 150
KH 20 (think its low)
PH 6.5 - 6.8
Water temperature stays between 66F - 70F (it did get about 72 during a couple hot days recently)
Diet - worms, sinking pellets, an occasional fish or shrimp

He has about 8 janitors (ghost shrimp) and we keep about 3 small minnows in there

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Hi, welcome to the site! At last a question with good info to go on!
These kinds of fungal outbreaks are common with Axolotls, especially in newish tanks. The set up itself looks good to me, but I think it's the remaining Ammonia and Nitrite that are causing the problem. From what I gather adding things like prime probably help, but the tank still needs to cycle and it's not quite there yet. Axolotls are messy and produce a lot of waste, they also produce Ammonia from their gills, so they are especially taxing on a new system. You are getting a nitrite reading, so it's on the cycle is on it's way, I'd say just keep on monitoring the parameters and keeping the levels as low as possible with the water changes without actually removing them completely or obviously the cycle will crash. One idea could be to remove the Axolotls and keep them in a tub/tank with bottled or dechlorinated tap water that you change daily while the tank finishes cycling? The minnows are a bit tougher than Axolotls, so they will provide the Ammonia needed for the filter while the Axies are away.

ShaneZampire

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Today it appears the black one has a small white spot on the opposite side. (He once had very large fluffy feathers) and lost 90% on one side. The white one has more white today on another one too. So its still spreading. We have been doing two 25% water changes a day for last 3 days. Also each axolotl has been getting two 10 minute salt baths daily. 3 tsp aquarium salt per liter. Always fresh solution. We also have bought son a fridge for his room and have been keeping 2 water bottles in tank in rotation so temp never gets over 70F for sure now. Usually stays about 66F

If its steady spreading after several days of doing all this...

what else can we do? What can we add to tank to kill this fungus?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl owner2020: I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget. +1