Illness/Sickness: White gill tips??

Lilyt

Reaction score
Country
United States
today I was walking by my axolotls tank and I noticed the tips of his gills were VERY white and the filament had fallen off where it was white. I was in a rush, so I thought I could look into it when I got home, and it spread a lot in those few hours! I’ve ran some tests on his water and everything is normal except for his ammonia, which spiked to 0.50 ppm (I’m changing his water as we speak and will continue to monitor it.) I just wanted some advice on what to do, should I fridge him or give him tea baths? And if so, how do I do so? I’ll upload a photo, but it’s kind of hard to see. It looks a bit whiter in person. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7808.jpeg
    IMG_7808.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_7811.jpeg
    IMG_7811.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7807.jpeg
    IMG_7807.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
After further inspection, the filaments are not GONE, they just have shrunk a bit. Here’s a better pic. Also I changed the water and will be monitoring, his nitrite and nitrate luckily did not rise 💪💪💪

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7813.jpeg
    IMG_7813.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the water, ensure adequate water oxygenation.
the question is what led to the ammonia spike? test ph and kh, is the tank a leave alone till water change day or a remove fecal/waste matter when seen? what is the nitrate level? was the tank properly cycled ie.. 4ppm ammonium chloride.

add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the water, ensure adequate water oxygenation.
the question is what led to the ammonia spike? test ph and kh, is the tank a leave alone till water change day or a remove fecal/waste matter when seen? what is the nitrate level? was the tank properly cycled ie.. 4ppm ammonium chloride.
Thank you for the advice! His tank is usually a water change day tank, but I unfortunately forgot to change it a few weeks ago. I am back on schedule with it but I just think there was a buildup of waste. I will keep an eye on all the levels to make sure ammonia doesn’t spike again. After I cleaned his tank I’m already seeing improvement. It stopped spreading and he’s been more active/like himself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back