White gills even after eating

jhende17

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some help please! My axie (Hank) has had abnormally pale gills for the past few days. He has also been a bit sluggish.

He still has his typical strong appetite, but even eating doesn't seem to give them much if any coloring.

Attached is a pic of him tonight after feeding him.

*also looking at him I am noticing his gills are a bit forward and tip of his tail is hooked. Didn't notice this yesterday.

Any suggestions to what's going on? Please help, I want Hank to be healthy again

Attachments

• 15483062488894092209610230778101.jpg
    15483062488894092209610230778101.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 204
Tank temp sits around 62 degrees Fahrenheit. What are you referring to by water parameters?

Water parameters mean pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. A lot of the time when there issues in axolotls it can be traced back to the parameters so it's always an important thing to ask :)

Sorry about the delay!

Looks like my nitrate and hardness are a bit high, but nitrite, pH, and chlorine look good. I'm waiting on my ammonia test to finish up and I'll post as soon as it's done.

I don't really know about the gills, usually they will go pink when the axie is active/eating. Do you have a photo of the gills before they turned white? I have seen posts where a little bit of the gills have gone white, but not the whole thing.
Is there any water current?

Thanks for the quick response!

Water current is pretty minimal, I have a rock by the filter to help with that.

Here is what his gills look like normally.

IMG_20180918_090055.jpg

Wow! Have the speckles on the face reduced too? The white gills must be from the inactivity, but I wonder what is causing the inactivity. Are you able to raise the temperature a little? Is the water usually at 62?

Yes, his speckles are not as dark. Hadn't even thought of that.

Temp sits 62-64 usually. Right now it's at about 65. Should I let it get warmer than that?

See if there is any change at 65 degrees. I wouldn't raise it too much higher than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back