Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White Mosquito Larvae

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking for nutritional information on white mosquito larvae; unfortunately, I do not know what they are (otherwise) called in English. Any information would be appreciated, whether an indication as to the nutritional value of white mosquito larvae as main food source for axolotl larvae or simply a name for the mosquitos themselves, so that I can research further on my own.

Thank you,

-Eva

geganewt

Reaction score
i don't know the answer to your question but mosquito larvae in America are called *drum roll*....... Mosquito Larvae!

(P.S. please don't take this as rude or anything like that)

blueberlin

Reaction score
haha no, it isn't rude. I have posted here before calling them "white worms" because "bloodworms" are red mosquito larvae and red, white... White worms are something else, though - enchytranes or whatever you call them on the busy strets of New York (haha) - so I was stumped again.

White mosquito larvae are different than red mosquito larvae, being that the reds are worms and sink, and te white are shrimp-like and jump through all available water space, which is another reason why I thought they might have a different "common" name.

So I guess we both wait for someone with more information to help tracking these fellows down, eh.

-Eva

Saspotato

Reaction score
Last edited:

Abrahm

Reaction score
Well, I just did some poking around and it appears that white mosquito larva (glassworms) are not mosquitoes at all but a type of midge. This wiki article has some decent information to begin with along with Sarah's posts.

As far as nutrition goes I would imagine it would be similar to that of bloodworms and true mosquito larva. Glassworms are predatory though, so they may have slightly different nutritional values.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Glass midge larvae are as good a food as any thing you can find. Abrahm - I'm not sure about the US but in Europe midges are part of the mosquito family.

Addendum: You know, now that I think about it, that last statement might not even be scientifically correct :/.

blueberlin

Reaction score
As I understand it, "midge" is British for mosquitos as well as for gnats (those tiny annoyances that you can repel with a stinky cigar). In any case, Sarah provided me with a link which has a name which will indeed get me started. If I find out anything conclusive, I'll come back here, just to complete the thread.

-Eva

petro

Reaction score
As I understand it, "midge" is British for mosquitos as well as for gnats (those tiny annoyances that you can repel with a stinky cigar). In any case, Sarah provided me with a link which has a name which will indeed get me started. If I find out anything conclusive, I'll come back here, just to complete the thread.

-Eva

Eva,
When you are back???:D

Between the other food I was feeding my Shanjinglarvae,where many times a lot off "white mosquito"larvae.
But they where not eaten by them,I just think they did'nt see them.
Petro

blueberlin

Reaction score
Closure

Back when I started this thread I was relatively new to this site. Since then I have discovered the Caudata Culture articles (hooray) - and mosquito larve are listed, separately from bloodworms, in the nutritional chart. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

The answer was so near, all along. I love this site!

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!