Illness/Sickness: White spot?

henswifey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My Axolotl (FELIX) has got some tiny white spots on his gills and the gill bits look like they are ill or have been damaged. A friend visiting yesterday suggested it is white spot. The pet shop where he came from said it was common and sold me a tablet to dissolve and put in tank. Is white spot the same as fungus? Has anyone heard of this treatment? I don't even know what is in the tablet but one tablet goes in 40 litres water and they said if still not right in week or so to use another tablet. I have put ice block in tank to chill tank a bit.

Could you please post a picture?
I personally wouldn't use the tablets, as many fish medications are poisonous to axies. Hopefully somebody will be able to give you an answer if these are safe.

All the best for your axie. ♥

Am trying to attach pics. One is of the day I got him (about 2 weeks ago) and one how he is now. The gills look bent and white DSCF4461.jpg

DSCF4505.jpg

Like Sarah said please dont use fish medication on your axie unless it has been approved by a vet or unless it is on the safe list on this site.
Your axies gill could be bent because he was in feeding mode...he was after those bloodworms. My axie get all excited when it is feeding time and his gill are just about covering his eyes they are that far forward....
The white could just be his colouring......I couldnt see anything wrong with him at all.
You have a lovely axie there by the way.

Thanks for that. he still looking ok. although he swimming and moving a lot. He goes up to top and gulps at air then swims and crawls some more. How often should he poo? And is just a few of those little tiny pellet things enough per day. He looks like he looking for food. If he is moving a lot is that a bad sign?

What are the water parameters in the tank???
They are always hungry:D. Fed him enough so that his belly isnt bigger than his head when you are looking down from above. He looks little to me so I would be feeding him everyday.

I think I know the tablets you mean, they are a tri-sulpha (or something like that) tablets iirc? I've used them previously for my fish. They do nasty things to water chemistry and destroy any live beneficial bacteria in your biological filter and tank.

I wouldn't use them for my axie, given I've seen what they have done for fish. Dont get me wrong, it worked like a charm for my fish but it was months before I got everything right again water chemistry wise. Her gills look like my axie's when they regrew, my LFS said she'd come to them with a couple of gills missing and they nursed her back I asked them also why they were whitish. I've seen white spot on fish and even given that its an axie it doesnt look like it at all.

Thanks so much I am feeling very relieved...will look into water parameter testing...have not done that before. He actually has not pooed since I got him I don't think? Is that normal. From looking at this site it looks like I should be looking for something of reasonable size in the tank but there has been nothing. I have not ruled out the possibility that he consumed rocks before I got him but he is not floating or looking strained. Just swimming and moving a lot more than I thought he would.

Have you seen any darkish powdery looking gunk which has covered a section of the tank? If you have ornaments you might find it easier to notice it there. In my tank for example I have a half flowerpot and I can tell if she's passed waste as I'll find a fine smattering of dark coloured gunk over it.

I only ever find a whole one if I'm around just after she's gone.

Ok Thanks I haven't noticed anything like that but will keep an eye on him!

Hi everyone. Felix is looking much better...I gave him salt bath just to be on safe side and then put him in fridge. Poor little guy pooped out a pebble that he obviously got at the pet shop ( I have sand so he did not get it here) which no Axie should have to pass. Now I think he is almost smiling! And of course hungry as usual. Think he would eat more than my kids if I let him. I am so relieved he looking better. Thanks so much everyone for your help and advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back