White spots on axolotl Help!

Hrafn

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
I've Had my axolotl for about 9 months now and recently I've been noticing white spots in him that I don't think were there before. He is a wild type axolotl and I read somewhere that their colors can change slightly with age. I also read that it could be scar tissue which might make sense cause when i got him he had damaged gill and a damaged fin. He has been acting normal and has been eating and pooping like normal but I think he has been hiding a bit more than usual. Parameters and temps are fine. I will attach images. Any help is appreciated.
20220111_145606.jpg
20220117_110028.jpg
20220117_110049.jpg

Attachments

• 20220111_145550.jpg
    20220111_145550.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 191
Can you tell me what the exact paremeters and and what the temp range is also do you know how old it is?

I'll test the parameters rn. Temps are from 15c to 20c usually around 16-19 but never over 20c. I don't know exactly how old it is but I got him in early august 6 months ago (accidentally said 9) and it was 15cm when I got it so my guess is 1 year to 1,5 years.

Ok tell me when Ur done testing parameters. Also what do you feed him?

Also what size is the tank..?

Last edited:
I mostly feed him Repashy grub pie and some random pellets since its been hard to find worms. Also I think the spots have stayed mostly the same I took those photos a couple of days ago and he seems to look the same. parameters are amonia= 0ppm Nitrite =0ppm didnt have time to test nitrate. I have to go I can talk later or tommorow. thanks for the help.

Ok ill think about it for a while ill get back to you shortly!

Probably tomorrow.

Well I'm not sure but I am sure someone will reply to your thread tomorrow I have to go sorry :(

Hello, in my personal opinion I think that as long as your axolotl is pooping fine, eating fine, all you water parameters are good and your axolotl is overall acting normal I wouldn’t worry to much. I have even heard of wild type axolotls completely changing their color to better blend into there environment! I see that you have a light colored sand so this could very well be the case! I hope this helps and I would definitely look at other threads about axolotls changing their color. It’s really quite interesting! I think this would be a good thread to check out-

I only see iridophores, normal for wild types. Iridophores tend to be denser whith age.
This axolotl seems normal.

No scar tissues for axolotl !
Medical research is performed to study that.

yeah, the “spots” or patches you’re seeing look to be iridophores, just some special cells that make your little friend pretty!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back