Question: White things on axolotl gills?

Ezreal

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, just today I noticed that one side of my axolotl's gills is slightly droopy and when she flicks them, the right side responds slower than the left. Sometimes only one side would flick and the other doesn't respond at all! Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Update: sorry for the misleading title! I saw some traces of white a few minutes ago but they are gone now o.o

2eed157afd62b4ee4d0882ff934d559d.jpg
b4f75e17396d72039a2ec1d977b79748.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see anything obvious in the pictures, but I've only been keeping axolotls for a few months, so I'm not very experienced.
I would suggest testing the water parameters to ensure that everything is ok, and keep a close eye on your axolotl for any changes in behaviour, or things that concern you. Post your water parameters and observations here and perhaps the more experienced keepers will be able to help.

The white tip on the gill on the left is something to keep an eye on, but could it be water flow? I know mine used to sit in certain areas of the tank more than others and if yours decided that they like one spot with only half of their face in the current it could effect the speed of the flicking.

Good luck! I hope the little guy is doing good!

I can't see anything obvious in the pictures, but I've only been keeping axolotls for a few months, so I'm not very experienced.

I would suggest testing the water parameters to ensure that everything is ok, and keep a close eye on your axolotl for any changes in behaviour, or things that concern you. Post your water parameters and observations here and perhaps the more experienced keepers will be able to help.

Thank you Donna for the tips. The water perimeters seem fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 5.0 ppm of nitrate. I've always had trouble getting nitrate levels down to zero, but I don't see how it could be related to gill growth.

The white tip on the gill on the left is something to keep an eye on, but could it be water flow? I know mine used to sit in certain areas of the tank more than others and if yours decided that they like one spot with only half of their face in the current it could effect the speed of the flicking.

Good luck! I hope the little guy is doing good!

Hmm, that could be the reason. Thank you for taking your time to reply. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back