Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Who here keeps necturus

ryan

Reaction score
just wondering who keeps necturus, i love them and i just would like to know who else has them, posted pictures of yours would be nice to
happy.gif

N

nathanael

I've been owning a Necturus for about two years now. I bought it at a pet store in Lancaster,PA. Where did you get yours? It's an awesome salamander and a lot of fun to watch. Sorry I couldn't post any pictures.

W

wes

While I don't keep them ... I have been involved for some years in a long term research program. That's me in the video behind the chap in the blue coming out of the stream.

http://magickcanoe.com/blog/2007/01/27/another-mudpuppy-night-at-oxford-mills/

Ah, the wilds of Canada - chasing aquatic salamanders at -32C/-25F.

And here's a report on yesterday's event ...
Subject: Mudpuppy Night 9 Feb 2007
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:54:04 -0600
To: Frederick W. Schueler

Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills.

Leaving Bishops Mills, 19:55, SKY: -14C, CLR,CLM

Ice free for 1 - 2 metres wide on downstream side of bridge, with complete ice cover for about 6 metres upstream. A u-shaped cluster of round ice pans crowded against the edge of the ice. The open water below the dam is very broad across. With relatively narrow ice ledges on either bank. Ice was resting on the rock along the west side. Valerie, saw two small individuals from the bridge, looking downstream. We saw about 80 Mudpuppies along the west side, with lots of them right along shore as soon as we came down with the lights. Matt found a cluster of four leopard Frogs under a flat rock close to the west bank. He lifted the rock after he had seen something just under the edge. Matt and Greg counted about 40 Mudpuppies along the east side, about 9 of them wedged in at the sheltered side of the ledge near the east side of the dam.
There were four hanging on between the two ice-free spillways. Total count is 120. Temp at departure, 22:30 is -18C, sky still clear.

N

nicole

I've never seen them. I had a hard enough time finding any type of newt in a petstore around here. I've seen more protected ones in my yard.

Ryan, where is Wards Biological?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!