Who out there....

You can always come and visit my location. The Cope's, and Pacific giant salamanders are around my area.

AMPHIBIANS & REPTILES of the PACIFIC NORTHWEST, Ronald A. Nussbaum, Edmund D. Brodie, Jr., Robert M. Strom. has some info re these species.

pamela, where do u live?? i am from shelton washington. i used to love observing copes in the cold streams in the olympic mts. awesome animals.

Hi Josh! I live in Kingston (North Kitsap). Not far from the Hood Canal. Very beautiful here! Course it is everywhere out here.

came across this post, and was curious what might be in my field guide about breeding and this is what is from the National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians

Breeding: Terrestrial adults breed in spring, in river headwaters, Eggs laid singly, on submerged timber. Hatching larvae, about 5/8", may transform during or following 2nd year at 3-6". Neotenic larvae mature at about 8". Larvae cannabalize smaller larvae and eat Tailed frog tadpoles and insects.....

I know its not much, and I'm sure this book is common, but thought I'd throw it up here incase it had something you didnt know.

HI!
i would have dicamptodon... is not possible to find larvas ?!? is that the problem.....

Ema

Ema,
The problem is actually quite the opposite, The larvae are common and easy to find but the adults are more rare and tough to find. If it were the other way around I suspect many more people would keep the species because adults are hardy and good captives while larvae are a little more tough.
Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back