Whoop! They are here!

pookiewn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after oodles of research and what seemed like forever to cycle the tank, my axies came home last night :happy: I was only going to get three, but it seems that the one of the little golden albino's wanted to come as well, lol! They are all housed in a four foot tank, with too many places to hide as they all do just that :happy:

Toothless is the wildtype, master of steath so far! I've only seen him once since going in the tank.
Mushu is the golden albino
Falkor is the pink leucistic
The last one, I haven't found a name that suits yet. Also not sure if he's golden or pink at the moment, seems to change colour a lot.

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 309
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 296
  • IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 326
LOVE your leucistic! Looks more like a piebald to me coz of the large spots! What a catch you've got there! :D

Its a pink albino, well....... was here lol. wheres he hiding? awww they look happy in their new tank :)

Thank you, I love them :)

No idea, shant worry about it til dinner time, lol. He was pink at yours, orange here in the tub, pink in the tank last night and very golden this morning! He's a bit of a chameleon :happy:

Wow they are so cute! And what a gorgeous aquarium, looks pretty big! I love it!

Very nice tank and good-looking axies!
Have fun with them :happy:

Hey there pookiewn, im doing up a new tank 3ft or 4ft haven't decided yet.. and would love to get a hood like yours! Any info or more pics on it you can provide?

Hey there pookiewn, im doing up a new tank 3ft or 4ft haven't decided yet.. and would love to get a hood like yours! Any info or more pics on it you can provide?

The hood is actually a rim around the tank and is dark purple glass, it looks black until the light is on. The tank is made by Clearseal, so maybe you could get a similar tank? Mine was a second hand bargain from gumtree :happy: Go for a four foot if you can, I got one more axie than I thought I was going to get and am thinking the tank they have wont be big enough when they grow up!

great looking setup!

as for the name "Falcor", I love it! I bet a pink leucistic (when older) would look just like a Luckdragon!

Congrats! I love your tank, especially the blue sand. So pretty!

Thank you! :happy: Its nice to hear that it's good for axies from those that know.
I thought the same, Falkor seems to have lots of shiny patches too - even more like the namesake.
Its actually purple sand (from the 99p shop!), the camera made it look rather blue.

The plant in the middle, thats a camboda? or however its spelt, looks orange to me :S is it dying? Or is that just the light?

Very pretty axies, would love a few more pics of that wildy :D

The plant in the middle, thats a camboda? or however its spelt, looks orange to me :S is it dying? Or is that just the light?

Very pretty axies, would love a few more pics of that wildy :D

Lol, its a plastic plant - so I hope its not dying :p I will take some more when Toothless comes out to play, he's still a master of steath! Against the dark purple sand, it's a little tricky spotting him at the best of times.

Thank you :)
I set it up all really cheaply! The tank cost £40, the sand about £5, the plastic plants were £8 from ebay and the real ones about the same. The slate was the best find, 20kg's of big rocks for £5, also ebay. The tree bit was a bit of very weathered ash from my garden, so free! It took a lot of boiling water and lots of scrubbing to make it all axie safe, and the entire time it was cycling it got re done, lol! :happy:

:( Kaysie says its not a pie-bald but a spotted wild type.. I don't agree.. meh doesn't matter, it's gorgeous anyway!! :D

I wasn't under the impression that it was, sorry. I think he's (?) rather gorgeous too, thanks hun :)

Pookiewn, I wouldn't worry about your 4ft not being big enough for your 4 axies. Axolotl.org says that a 4ft aquarium properly set up can happily house up to 8 adult Axolotls. I wouldn't go more than 6 though to be safe :D

Most people on here use the standard 1 ft per axie rule (past 2ft minimum of course), but I think as long as they have ample hides, don't fight and your water chemistry is good.. you can usually have 1 or 2 more than that :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back