Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why are my axolotls gills small?

SunnyFlowrr

Reaction score
My axie eats well, the temp in the tank is perfect, we have done multiple water tests, and my axolotls gills are still very small. Could it have anything to do with oxygen levels, or maybe he's just born like that?

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Yes, it could have something to do with oxygen levels.
The gills can expand and contract to adapt to water conditions. Larger gills are needed in oxygen poor water. Smaller gills are generally a sign of good oxygenation in the water.

SunnyFlowrr

Reaction score
The gills can expand and contract to adapt to water conditions. Larger gills are needed in oxygen poor water. Smaller gills are generally a sign of good oxygenation in the water.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!!

wolfen

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!!
a axolotl breaths through its skin and gills, although it has got rudimentary lungs that allow it to breath by gulping at the surface this can cause floating issues.
its gills are stems with filaments attached, these filaments have blood flowing through them to allow direct oxygenation into the blood stream and also to remove co2 (hence the flicking), a axolotl can reduce its gills and filaments in size and also reduce the blood flow if the water quality is poor/low in oxygen to protect itself from absorbing harmful gasses/substances such a ammonia.
in short if your axolotls gills are reduced there is a problem with the water.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Dude with frog in picture saying something blatantly false which is debunked by a mere 30 seconds of internet research and a viral video of an axolotl enjoying an air stone.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that the gills expand to take in more oxygen in stagnant water, and contract in more oxygenated water.
No, I don't recall the source, but I believe it was common knowledge at the time. Evidently that was incorrect.

JM29

Reaction score
The first thread from SunnyFlowrr dates back to Jan. 24th, with no photo of the gills.
At this date (with neither photo nor measure), it was not clear what was intended by "small gills", and perhaps the trouble was actually not as severe as now.

With these limited informations, Herpin Man was right when he answered (Jan. 24th) that the gills can expand or contract on a limited basis to adapt to the oxygen demand, either because of variations of oxygen in the water, or variations of the axolotl's needs. When I give a big dinner to my axolotls, they often are more expanded (and more red) gills during the following days, probably because they need a bit more oxygen to digest this food.

But now, it's different. The more recent threads, and particularly the dramatic photo, told us this was a huge problem and not a normal reaction.
Don't overlook the dates when reading the present thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1