Why do people suggest using sand?

jordie2

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been using gravel for about 5-6 years. I have noticed on the forum that people like using sand. My axelotls are fine but one did eat a lot of gravel. So I got larger gravel and now it's fine.

Why sand?:confused:

Re: why do people suggest using sand?

Sand is usually recommended for axolotls because it is easy for them to pass should they swallow some. Large rocks that cannot be swallowed are also fine but have the disadvantage that debris is trapped underneath them making them more difficult to clean than sand. It therefore simply comes down to personal preference.

-Eva

I have a very fine layer of small gravel and added bigger rocks through out the smaller gravel. When I vacumn the tank I move the bigger rocks and vacumn underneath them. Easy to do when cleaning the bottom of the tank. Why sand, I don't know. Matter of preference I think.:D

Axolotls are masters at rooting around, and can easily dislodge larger rocks and get to small gravel underneath. This is just asking for trouble.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back