Why Don't Giant Salamanders Stay Neotenic? (Cryptobranchidae)

KrabzAga

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
KrabzAga
They live all their live in water but decided to get rid of their gill stalks? What benefit does that serve?

Could be phylogenetic, perhaps this clade of giant salamanders never had the ability to develop neoteny. Could be that their folds of skin are better at oxygen exchange in fast moving water, while most other salamanders have a smooth body plans as larvae. Gills could also perhaps be very fragile in the habitat they are found, as they squeeze under rocks, and fight off intruders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back