Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why isnt my axolotl eating? Is he sick?

Stickhud

Reaction score
I own a 3 month old axolotl and it's been day 2 in his tank. He's only eaten one pellet and is starting to get a little slim. He has several pellets in his tank, so why isnt he eating. He will be right by the food but completely ignore it. I got the pellets from the person I bought the axie from, so I am guessing he ate them before.

Attachments

• 16190014499426314589007763520446.jpg
    16190014499426314589007763520446.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 113

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I own a 3 month old axolotl and it's been day 2 in his tank. He's only eaten one pellet and is starting to get a little slim. He has several pellets in his tank, so why isnt he eating. He will be right by the food but completely ignore it. I got the pellets from the person I bought the axie from, so I am guessing he ate them before.
I see a couple things that are concerning me. His gills are very curled, indicating stress. He's definitely thin, but more than just a couple days of not eating would indicate. Some of those pellets are also way too big for him and food should never be left in the tank for more than a few mins. Leaving it will just pollute the water.

Couple questions to help me figure out whats going on:
What size tank is he in?
Type of filtration?
Temperature of the tank?
Water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH
What chemicals are you using in the tank? Water conditioners? Dechlorinators? ect.

Stickhud

Reaction score
He also seems to be curling his tail, it was worse before, but he loosened it.
I see a couple things that are concerning me. His gills are very curled, indicating stress. He's definitely thin, but more than just a couple days of not eating would indicate. Some of those pellets are also way too big for him and food should never be left in the tank for more than a few mins. Leaving it will just pollute the water.

Couple questions to help me figure out whats going on:
What size tank is he in?
Type of filtration?
Temperature of the tank?
Water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH
What chemicals are you using in the tank? Water conditioners? Dechlorinators? ect.
He is in a 20 gallon tank, and I use a aqueon filter. One of those you hang on the sides. The tempature is 63 degrees. I haven't been able to test the water, but I used a bottle you but in the water to get rid of ammonia.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
He also seems to be curling his tail, it was worse before, but he loosened it.

He is in a 20 gallon tank, and I use a aqueon filter. One of those you hang on the sides. The tempature is 63 degrees. I haven't been able to test the water, but I used a bottle you but in the water to get rid of ammonia.
ok so you need to get a good quality liquid test kit (like the API freshwater master kit) and test his water. Water testing should be done at least once a week. Adding more chemicals to "get rid of ammonia" is NEVER the correct answer, especially since most chemical additives are toxic to axolotls. Prime by Seachem is the only water conditioner I recommend to remove chlorine and chloramines (many others contain aloe which is extremely toxic). Prime will also TEMPORARILY detoxify ammonia, but that is not a fix. Partial water changes are the only way to improve water quality and those should be done weekly. If you tank was not previously cycled, you may even have to do them twice a week until your nitrogen cycle has been completed (can take 4-6 weeks). I would highly recommend tubbing him in cold fresh water until you can get a test kit for your tank. You will need to do 100% water changes daily on the tub, but it will allow you some time to get your tank checked and to monitor him more closely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!