Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why the minimum post requirements?

gfsward

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new here. I'm confused with the minimum post requirement for some of the forums. Why does caudata have that?
Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: ?

We would like to think our members like us for our content, rather than use us for our classifieds!

Plus, it keeps 'chatter' out of the serious discussion sections of the forum, which makes more curmudgeonly members happy to not sift through the 'omg, how cute' threads.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: ?

The advertising forums have a minimum post requirement. (1) This allows potential buyers/sellers to see at least a little bit of what a new person has to say before deciding to deal with them. (2) It keeps out people who only want to post ads but not participate.

The advanced forum areas have a minimum "rep" requirement to post without mod approval. Anyone can post there, but posts will be screened for drivel.

Last edited by a moderator:

frenzyfan

Reaction score
I finally found what the minimum post requirement is. You need to post 5 posts and an hour after your fifth post you can post on the for sale/wanted forums. This information should be easier to find. There is nothing like joining something you're really excited and passionate about and then you still don't have full access to and can't figure out why. It's pretty frustrating and kind of kills the excitement for the site.

Jenste

Reaction score
I finally found what the minimum post requirement is. You need to post 5 posts and an hour after your fifth post you can post on the for sale/wanted forums. This information should be easier to find. There is nothing like joining something you're really excited and passionate about and then you still don't have full access to and can't figure out why. It's pretty frustrating and kind of kills the excitement for the site.

5 posts is still very easy to do and an hour of time to prevent spammers abusing our forum is well worth it to us.

I doubt many people will say that it killed the excitement of the site. It is to keep our site protected after all and they are also receiving a protected site by joining. Otherwise it would end up being very similar to the old chat rooms that became so over run with spammers that it ruined them because there were no regulations.

frenzyfan

Reaction score
5 posts is still very easy to do and an hour of time to prevent spammers abusing our forum is well worth it to us.

I doubt many people will say that it killed the excitement of the site. It is to keep our site protected after all and they are also receiving a protected site by joining. Otherwise it would end up being very similar to the old chat rooms that became so over run with spammers that it ruined them because there were no regulations.

It's not the requirement that is frustrating, that is understandable and expected. It's how difficult it is to find what the requirement is that's frustrating... I'm just saying the information about the requirement should be easier to find.

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not the requirement that is frustrating, that is understandable and expected. It's how difficult it is to find what the requirement is that's frustrating... I'm just saying the information about the requirement should be easier to find.

When a new users attempts to post in the ads, they get this message displayed:

Username, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  3. If you are a normal registered user trying to post to the advertisement section of the forum you must have a 1 post minimum to receive permission to post here. Be aware that posting a nonsense post to allow you to advertise will not give you instant access to this section so please don't try that.
John needs to revise that to say 5 posts, not one. It's out of date. Once that info is correct, it seems reasonably easy to find what the requirement is.

Also, every advertising forum has a Sticky post saying "Please read this before posting", and that information explains the 5 post minimum.

mrmorrell

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation of the minimum posts. This makes getting started as a New Member much easier! I am sure it is posted else where, but I am glad to have run across the explanation on tis visit.:smile:

jayzak

Reaction score
it seems like im not the only one with the min requirement. the 5 post is reasonable but it should've been lifted when that members been around say...6 months?
when i first started i though noobs aren't allow to post, so i waited 1 year and return to find out that my account still cant post.

chloemae

Reaction score
I was not aware of the 5 post minimum and have been a member here for several years. I now have axolotl eggs that I wish to sell (versus just selling them locally to people with no expertise).....

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The minimum post rule is because the site is primarily about education and conservation, not a free for all trading post. Without the minimum post rule the trade area would soon fill up with all kinds of spam and scams, if you post your eggs for sale add I'll approve it now you have more than 5 posts.

Davidsalamander

Reaction score
Yeah I new here also and can't post anything so how do I do it. I already posted my introduction and wrote how much I find newts and salamanders a passion to study and to love. so please some one help.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to think we are part of a community here. This is where we learn about our animals from others and share our experiences. Reading through various posts you may well come across some that you can add information to or ideas. Some posts you may find there is something you are unsure about, ask a question :) I think it is very easy to post here and get those initial posts....but once you get them.......don't stop. Keep reading them, dig into the old posts and enjoy using the forum :D

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I new here also and can't post anything so how do I do it. I already posted my introduction and wrote how much I find newts and salamanders a passion to study and to love. so please some one help.

You can post, but unless you are posting in the "help" section a moderator has to approve it. Just takes a little time, depending on when the next mod comes on and approves posts. It's all volunteer work. :)

krenae

Reaction score
"It keeps out people who only want to post ads but not participate." Yea, well, it also chases ppl away. I'm new, unless I post gibberish nonsense, something you've warned against in your policies, I don't have five things to post here. I came to READ and LEARN, I have no info or knowledge to share yet, so I'm out of luck now that I feel ready to purchase my first Axie and want to buy from a reputable site of knowledgeable ppl. I've contacted 2 moderators trying to explain this, gotten no response from either so I can't respond to ppl who are selling. Your rule is very prohibitive and rather insulting to those who are here to gain knowledge from what others have shared but don't happen to have anything to say.

krenae

Reaction score
And I'm going to post one more so I can get my five, and excuse me if it's not properly informative. How can I help, share, inform when I have no experience? That's why I came here....TO READ so I could LEARN, not to talk with nothing to say!

Five and counting.....Thank you!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Private message is by far the best way to respond to ads. It's what I do. You don't place another advert to answer an advert on craigslist, you phone or email the seller. The 5 post requirement is only for posting in the advertisement section.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1