Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wild Tubifex

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I would never feed tubifex in any form to my pets, frozen, dried, or otherwise, but I thought you all might enjoy seeing them in their natural habitat. Sadly this was the only notable find other than some fossils on my latest herping expedition.

So with out further rambling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zfM2QS5tag

Please pardon the video quality, I was unprepared for underwater filming this day...

Carloshc

Reaction score
Interesting. I've never seen one swimming, mine mostly form a ball-like thing and stay like that for my axies :>

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
They are interesting critters. I actually collected a sample to culture at home, just to gain the experience. Keep in mind these are very different animals than what is sold as California Blackworms.
Also keep in mind I do not reccomend feeding these to your critters. If I had bothered to film the stream these are in, you would see just how filthy and polluted it is. Tubifex are considered by many to be a major vector for bacteriological and parasitic pathogens.

On the plus side, they are thriving in my dirty tank water. If I could figure out a way to have them tested for nastiness, I would be curious to see what these worms carry pathogen wise.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s very true. For the most part, Tubifex inhabits polluted and low oxygen waters. When you find them in numbers you can pretty much assume there are no vertebrates around.
However they can also be found in healthy streams as long as they have a good layer of debris. I´m unsure as to wether all wild sources are unsuitable for food.

The captive cultured ones seem to be fine. I used them once and had no problems.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, this stream is shared habitat with quite a few frogs and a turtle:

Rana utricularia
Rana pipiens
Rana catesbeiana
Acris crepitans
Pseudacris sp. (Haven't been able to catch one of these for a positive identity, identified by calls)

Chelydra serpentina present also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!