Question: Wild type axolotl lost all pigment over span of a few years, why?

hambrugr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I got an axolotl sold to me as a "wild type GFP" from an aquarium shop about 5 years ago. When it was young, it had no pigment, just white with a tinge of green-yellow from the GFP. Over the course of a couple years it turned dark green - almost brown/gray, covered in spots with dark crimson gills. 3 years later and now its almost completely lost all of that pigment and looks identical to how it was as a baby, yellowish-white with bright red gills, a few spots of darker green remain but are fading. I've always been so curious about what caused this change.
Anyone know why this happens? No major health issues or trama, always had the same temperament and activity. Left is before, right is now. Thanks in advance!
Screenshot_20220802-122053_Snapchat.jpg
Screenshot_20220802-122259_Gallery.jpg

Pigmentation is affected by genetics, but there can be epigenetic factors involve which cause the pigmentation to show in different ways. If it's had a varying diet or changes to its environment, or even new tankmate, etc., it may just be adjusting to those kinds of things.

Pigmentation is affected by genetics, but there can be epigenetic factors involve which cause the pigmentation to show in different ways. If it's had a varying diet or changes to its environment, or even new tankmate, etc., it may just be adjusting to those kinds of things.
No change in diet or environment, no new tankmates. And this was a slow process which happened over a few years. Started as small splotches of nonpigmented skin and slowly spread over the entire body.

It's possible it's related to genetics. This has happened before. It was hypothesized there was death of melanophores or that the axolotl might have had leucistic or even tiger salamander DNA as the genetic lineage of the animal was unknown.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back