Wont eat

ozie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I live in oz but in a cool area at 800mts, my axie has stopped eating anything for the last three days, but looks quite alright. Any ideas anyone.

People are going to ask you these 2 questions first.

1. Is there gravel in the tank?

2. Water chemistry? pH, Nitrite, Ammonia, Nitrate etc.

If there is gravel, get rid of it. If your Axo is an adult, they only need to be fed every few days. When was the last time you had to clean poop out of the tank?

-D-

He ate a worm last night so hopefully he is going to be ok. He is in the tank with another one so cant tell about poo. PH is fine 7.2 don't know about amonia or nitrate . Havent got a kit. No gravel just fine sand. But he had not eaten for days. Thanks for your answer,and perhaps with this information, you can tell me a bit more. ozie

Hey,

How long has your tank been set up? You should invest in a test kit so you can monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in your tank. Ammonia especially as it's quite toxic at relatively low levels.

How often and how much water do you change? e.g. 25% once per week

If only one of your Axo's has stopped eating it's less likely to be water conditions I would imagine.

Someone here with more experience can confirm this but apparently Axo's just go off their food occasionally. And remember, once they mature they don't need to be fed as often.

How big is his body in relation to his head?

Anyone else got any ideas?

Keep us updated on how he is going

-D-

Three days isnt a big deal.

They eat smaller meals less often when they are young, then gradually eat larger portions (worms) less often.

I have also noticed in mine that different stressors and conditions will interupt the regualr pattern.

Before i had a chiller to control temp, i noticed that a few warmer days or cooler days might make them"moody" and not take food.

I have two males, & I've also noticed that they seem to go right off their food before they drop spermatoza - they'll have days of kinda unusual adctivity (a bit more pacing etc than normal) refuse food for days - then hello! I'm left a nice bunch of jelly to clean up :)

i've also noticed they won't eat before pooping - they'll refuse food on their normal day, then next day, get the turkey baster out!

So there is three examples of when my guys seem to go off food that are totally harmless. They could be totally wrong assumptions, but it's only my theorising from what i've observed.

Being the type of creatures they are, and the cold conditions they live in, they have slower metabolisms than us, and dont have to eat everyday.

Yes, you should be looking for unusual behaviour and eating patterns etc as indicators for a problem, but not eating for only three days is not something to worry about too much.

His torso should be roughly the same width as the width of his head - either narrower or wider than that can indicate over feeding or under feeding respectively - if they decide to only eat once or twice a week, and they hold good weight - you don't have an issue

Bren

Last edited:
Thanks guy's answer's to a couple of your questions. i have a 60 lt tank and take one 9lt bucket out sphioning bottom rubish and put one 9lt bucket in with Ph corrected. Width, head slightly wider than body lenth body 3 times longer than head approx. He has again eaten a little, ie a couple of pellets yesterday. Keeping temp down with us of ice bottles. Have ordered a chiller as using bottles is to demanding on them and me. One other thing ist says I am a junior member I am actualy retired and trying to make Axoltl's a hooby. ozie.

Hey Ozie:)

Junior member refers to your forum status and experience, junior in forum-time not real-time.

OK thanks mewsie. Axie still going well. Am in Sydney at the moment and was horrified to see all the poor Axies in little tanks at the outdoor markets in 34c temps. I felt sorry for one and bought him, he is in the spare old fridge until i go home tommorrow. Many of them (Axies) had fungus on them. Ozie

Do make sure you quarantine your new little addition for at least 30 days when you get home .

Ok Julia will do. Going back to the UK in April for holliday.

When I said make sure you quarantine your new axolotl for 3o days, I meant do not put your new axolotl in with the current one :D This is to help prevent any possible infections being passed between them , it will also give you a better chance to monitor their feeding .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back