Woohoo! I've got popei babies!

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
Looked in my tank earlier tonight, only to discover a little larvae staring right back at me. I've counted 6 so far, plus a small batch of eggs. This comes at a huge surprise, because I thought my guys were nowhere close to sexual maturity (they're not even full grown). I'm setting up a 5-gallon tank right now, and will get a brime shrimp hatchery going ASAP. This is great!

tmarmoratus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
5-gallon tank is set-up and the larvae transferred. I count 17 + or - 1. That number may change if I find anymore in the adult tank, though I'm fairly certain I got them all. Many of them are already growing their back legs. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.

krk11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck! Hope you successfully raise them all.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
That's great! I think they are such a pretty newt. Please post pics when you can.

PS Jeff, do you mind if I send you a PM?

Last edited:

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
That is great news Jeff! I'm glad to here that there is someone in Sacramento that is keeping and breeding newts. Please let me know if you are looking to sell as I would love to FINALLY not have to have them shipped.

I wish you the best of luck with them!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations, Jeff, that's an awesome surprise!

tmarmoratus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
Feel free to PM me. I will say I plan on keeping them until metamorphosis, since I don't feel too comfortable shipping larvae and because it's just plain fun to raise 'em! :)

tmarmoratus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
Here's an update with pictures as promised- I'm down to 12;a few of the smaller ones fell prey to their larger bretheren. The good news is that I haven't lost any within the last 10 days, so hopefully the rest of them will make it to metamorphosis. I've been keeping an eye on the adult's tank, but haven't spotted any new eggs or larvae, though one of the females definitely looks gravid. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let everyone know if/when more eggs are laid. Picture time:

Attachments

tmarmoratus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
Another update. All 12 are still alive and doing well. One is a quite a bit smaller than others, but otherwise appears to be doing fine. Quite a few of them are starting to develop a lateral stripe down their spine, and their tails and gills are beginning to shrink, which can only mean.....

MORPHING TIME!

I'll be reducing the water level tonight and provide a few rocks that will break the water surface for those that will lose their gills here in a few days. Pictures are forthcoming.

krk11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Jeff, that's great. I just got some popei and pyrrhogaster eggs that are starting to hatch. What a great experience this is for me and my kids. Hopefully I too will be posting pictures soon. Good luck with the rest of them.

paris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Paris Reilley
congrats jeff-now comes the hard part....

tmarmoratus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
Another morphed today, and it looks like they'll be one more by the end of tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Andrew
How do you plan to keep them once they have all morphed? Will you keep them aquatic or set them up in a terrestrial setup?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1