Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm Grunting!

Peyote

Reaction score
I have difficulty finding large size Lumbricus terrestris (European common earthworm) for my hungry adult axolotl - without digging up my garden, which destroys the soil structure in the longer term. I came across "Worm Grunting" on youtube! I tried it in my garden and got 7 large worms to jump out of the ground after about 10 minutes 'grunting'. The technique involves mimicking the digging action of moles by rubbing a flat metal bar on the top of a wooden stob hammered into the ground. It seems some species of worm are programmed to avoid by escaping onto the surface. Herring gulls around here use a similar mole-mimmick technique with their feet and get good results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YjFT8F7RU

PLOS ONE: Worm Grunting, Fiddling, and Charming

sde

Reaction score
I have tried this before as well, it didn't work as well as i'd hoped. What i have found works better for me is to take a pitchfork, stick it in the ground and move it back and forth. I am not sure why it works better, but it seems to.
Either way it is a neat trick to have if you get your worms from outdoors.

AdvythAF

Reaction score
I might try something similar to this. I know that digging a large hole also works to find worms..but a lot harder. The worms come out because of the disturbances in the soil.

alexps

Reaction score
When at school now over 40 years ago I recall doing a silly dance on the lawn much in the same way seagulls do to get the worms to surface I was told at the time it was to mimic rainfall?I also recall making up sum soapy water to poor on the grass to get the worms to surface.Now I cheat and buy mine .

JM29

Reaction score
There is a method used by soil biologists to make the worms come out out the soil : melting a mustard pot with 10 l. water and watering 1 square meter soil. Then wait for the worms. I don't know if they make them tasty ! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1