Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Worms from a fishing shop

MearWolf

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking at getting some Axolotls soon and I've been doing some research into where I can get food from.

Would people warn against getting live worms from a fishing tackle shop because of possible uncleanliness and/or chemicals?

Or would they be fine?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking at getting some Axolotls soon and I've been doing some research into where I can get food from.

Would people warn against getting live worms from a fishing tackle shop because of possible uncleanliness and/or chemicals?

Or would they be fine?

I wild collect earthworms from chemical free areas, dig them up from my chemical free garden and buy them from bait shops. Try to source organic worms if you can lol, the guys in the bait shop will laugh them selves stupid when you ask.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ask them how their worms are harvested. They often use soap or surfactants.

You'd be better off getting them from a pet shop.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Ask them how their worms are harvested. They often use soap or surfactants.

You'd be better off getting them from a pet shop.

The UK doesnt have a worm collecting industry like the US, most of the earthworms that are for sale in bait shops are farmed, some will be organic some wont, which is why I said to ask the guys in the bait shop.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Unfortunately in the UK we are short of hillbillies / red necks / hill folk etc to perform this specialized vocation.

kimo

Reaction score
I buy my worms from my local fishing shop & never had a problem although I am building a wormery. I live in a town so I figure grow my own Then i know what they been fed on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!