Worms, worms, worms!

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Casey :)
I know from everyones amazing advice on this forum that worms.are by far the most popular axie dinner!

I just wanted to know if there is any types of worms to NOT feed axies? The only one im sure of is meal worms because of the hard.exoskeleton.

Theres so many breeds i just wondered if they were all ok?

Ive heard of:
Lob worms
Tiger worms
Red worms
Dendra worms
Butter worms

Any help/advice welcome with open arms!

Here's a summary of what I could gather: This forum plus other sites tell us not to provide red ringed worms (aka dendrobaena something and eisenia foetida). Some members are trying to wash off the foetida's secretions prior to feeding. No feedback on results yet I think.
And the problem with the wax-worms, I think, isn't related with the tough exoskeleton, but rather having to disable or crush their jaw (they bite) and being pour nurishment (some suggest gut-loading 1st) when compared with earthworms.

W

Have you read the Food article yet?

Will, I think you're confusing waxworms and mealworms. Waxworms are fine, if a bit fatty. Mealworms have a tough exoskeleton and powerful jaws. Neither are a great source of nutrition, but fine as a treat (use freshly molted mealworms).

So dendra are a no then? Aww theres a good deal on ebay for them!

So dendra are a no then? Aww theres a good deal on ebay for them!
no, you can feed your axie dendra just he may not like the taste. mine don't mind the taste and eat them, they find it easier than lob worms. if you have some and your axie dosn't like the taste, soak them in water for a bit and then feed.

Oh right cause the pics of dendra i seen on the internet look like the ones im feeding Fin at the moment so itd be cool to feed them then? Its like 300 worms for £7 i figured that was cheap xD so might order some when these run out :)

That species is so cheap because they breed easily. It's quite common in Australia to breed your own worms. I wonder why it hasn't caught on in other areas. You should look into starting your own worm bin!

Thats what i planned on doing! Because my axie cant eat the big worms yet so i thought by the time all the small ones are gone they might have bred some babies. Do you breed worms as food kaysie? Ive got about five worms at the moment so will be buying.more obviously :L dont know what my mum will think about a worm farm though xD guess they can stay outside in a large bucket and just keep damp, cold and chuck food scraps in yeah?

Thats what i planned on doing! Because my axie cant eat the big worms yet so i thought by the time all the small ones are gone they might have bred some babies. Do you breed worms as food kaysie? Ive got about five worms at the moment so will be buying.more obviously :L dont know what my mum will think about a worm farm though xD guess they can stay outside in a large bucket and just keep damp, cold and chuck food scraps in yeah?

You'll need something with a ventilated lid, as they are great climbers - think it has something to do with the secretions.
You can feed chopped up worms (to whatever size is best) if you have trouble getting enough of the right size, but give them a soak 1st, as the release the taste when cut - guessing that's similar to being munched + is why they do it then too ;)

Yeah i know to cut them up but id feel so mean! So ill just let my mum do it or something.. How sad! Lol :D

Ill just try find some small ones, i found some in my garden but i was wondering are they ok because they arent exactly red but.more.of a beige colour and i heard thats not good? And my nan used slug pellets but that was last year... Does it matter?

I used to cut them up to feed to Swarley. I felt so awful because, as a biology student, I was able to cut them apart and keep them alive. :eek: now she's big enough to eat whole trout worms. I'm so glad to be through that phase. I'm going to start a worm farm when I move this month to reduce expense since I'm getting two new lotls! :D

You can use any earthworms you find in your garden, regardless of their hue. Some worms are just redder than others.

Im guessing it would be best to just get a spade out caseey!

It would be nice to find a simple worm box setup somewhere, they all seem so baffling?

am i right in thinking

Box with vented lid, loads of dirt, add organic waste, load up with worms, keep damp and then harvest?

Nothing simple out there that i can find, Any DIY threads anywhere? :D

P.s Sorry for sub stealing your thread but it was fairly on topic

Hahaa dont worms stay alive anyways when you cut them? Dont they have a heart at each end or something xD

Aaron someone before said they had a candy floss tub (you know the buckets) and had holes in the lid and chucked in food.scraps of veg and stuff few times a week but you turn up the mulch daily to get oxygen in? And ofc spray to keep damp :)

Guess that'll work..

Im still torn between a worm.farm and a shrimp breeding tank xD

I find that keeping a log in the back garden damp and moving it when I want worms is enough! No need for the hard labour of digging :lol: though, watering bits of wood when watering the flowers does seem a little weird!

I've been looking on this site for ideas of wormeries.
Wormcity buy a wormery from our complete range of wormeries

The childrens one looks very simple and easy to make yourself :)

Great idea haha! I was looking on a worm farm website at their worm.bins but it didnt even cross my mind to look at the kids bins!
Ill get looking now :D

It's a common misconception. Many people believe that if you cut a worm in half, you make two worms. But they only have one brain and one mouth. However, they do have segments and each segment has kidneys, etc that are all connected. So, they are able to survive if the lower portion of their body is cut off because all their important organs are close to the brain and the aforementioned repetition of organs in each segment. It's a failsafe that I easily exploited to reduce waste. However, worms also can't feel pain, so I wasn't actually hurting them. :p

Edit: Also, if I remember my bio 121 class correctly, the reason that they have more than one heart is because of now inefficient they all. However, I know that they are beside each other below the brain.

Last edited:
Hahaa dont worms stay alive anyways when you cut them? Dont they have a heart at each end or something xD

Aaron someone before said they had a candy floss tub (you know the buckets) and had holes in the lid and chucked in food.scraps of veg and stuff few times a week but you turn up the mulch daily to get oxygen in? And ofc spray to keep damp :)

Guess that'll work..

Im still torn between a worm.farm and a shrimp breeding tank xD

That's me with the candy floss tub ;)
Go for the worm farm - since worms should make up the bulk of the diet.
Then again, I guess you could find worms outside, so maybe go for shrimp tank :confused:
:p:p:p

Hahaa! I thought the candy floss owner would soon return ;)
I think im going to go with worms because yeah they are the best food and plus i dont have any spare plug sockets to plug the filter in for the smaller tank :L i might just go to ikea or pound shop or something and get one of those largeish plastic tubs used for storage, thatd be ok wouldnt it?

The people on ebay said they can send mainly small worms if thats what i want but they dont sell any less than 300 hahaa oh well ill.be stocked up for a while :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back