Worried about my axolotl - please help!

chelseavince

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chelsea
Hi guys,
My melanoid juvie axolotl has started to show some strange behaviour, he's spending a lot of time floating by the surface tilting on his side with his left arm and leg sticking right out of the water! He'll stay like this for ages, completely still, then every now and then go a little crazy and start swimming around quite quickly. Can anyone help? My water parameters are normal and the water is at 19c... I've put him in a tank away from my other axolotl, and lowered his water level (I usually have it quite high because my other one likes to swim around) for now as I'm worried he might end up stressing the other one out or passing something on. He's eating and seems to be pooping normally too. I've only had him for six weeks or so... please can anyone help?? I'm worried sick :confused:

Probably the best thing to do, as far as I'm aware, is to cool him down quite a lot. Many people put their sick axolotl's in the fridge in shallow water to keep them the right way up. It sound like your axie is suffering from some internal problems causing him to float. It could be an intestinal infection as it is unlikely to be a blockage from eating gravel (if you have any) if he is pooing normally.

Keeping them cool slows their metabolism, also slowing the progression of any bacterial growth or other injuries. Pop him in the fridge and monitor his progression. Many others on here may provide more specific advice about his illness than I can but axie first aid I can do.

Let us know how he's getting on and we can help further

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back