Worried about my axolotl

Mik4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I've had my axolotl for 4 years now, and I've never had any problems with him. A few days ago, I went to feed him and he didn't look like he usually did. The following day, he was upside down. I thought he was dead and was devastated. I was getting ready to move him to a box to bury him and I saw him moving like he was trying to flip himself back over. So I fridged him immediately after that. I kept checking on him and would see little movements over three days. I also cleaned the tank and replaced the water with distilled water. I tested it and it was perfect I took him out today to readjust and he was perfectly fine in the little container. When I put him back in his tank, he was immediately on his back again. What can I do to help my little guy?

One of my littluns did exactly the same thing quite a few years ago. So I know how you are feeling.
What I would say is don't panic. This happened about 8 years ago and she is still going strong today.
She shares a tank with another axie and they were absolutely fine. It wasn't the water in our case,
Does he keep floating to the surface?

One of my littluns did exactly the same thing quite a few years ago. So I know how you are feeling.
What I would say is don't panic. This happened about 8 years ago and she is still going strong today.
She shares a tank with another axie and they were absolutely fine. It wasn't the water in our case,
Does he keep floating to the surface?

He hasn't floated at all.

Ok that eliminates a built up of gas that sometimes causes them to float to the surface. How is his appetite?

Ok that eliminates a built up of gas that sometimes causes them to float to the surface. How is his appetite?

He's never really eaten much, but he really hasn't been eating his food recently. I just got back from work and noticed the bottom side of his mouth/head is swollen. I just don't know what to do for my baby. The closest exotic vet is 3 hours away.

Hmm. It doesn't sound quite the same issue as what was affecting Brooking, as I don't recall any swelling. What I would say is I did fear the worst when I found her floating on her side but axies are quite resilient and she pulled through just fine.
Hopefully somebody else can offer some advice.

Hi. I've had my axolotl for 4 years now, and I've never had any problems with him. A few days ago, I went to feed him and he didn't look like he usually did. The following day, he was upside down. I thought he was dead and was devastated. I was getting ready to move him to a box to bury him and I saw him moving like he was trying to flip himself back over. So I fridged him immediately after that. I kept checking on him and would see little movements over three days. I also cleaned the tank and replaced the water with distilled water. I tested it and it was perfect I took him out today to readjust and he was perfectly fine in the little container. When I put him back in his tank, he was immediately on his back again. What can I do to help my little guy?

What are your tank parameters?

Because you have no nitrates your tank doesn’t look cycled, I recommend getting an API freshwater kit they are most accurate & it’s important to know your ammonia & nitrites. Put your Axolotl in a tub with daily water changes plus Seachem prime (dechlorinator) until you’re tan is cycled. 10 gal is too small for a full grown Axolotl so you might want to upgrade to at least a 20 and start the cycling process. Here is a how to guide

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back