Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Xenopus: possible origin of chitrid fungus

J

jennifer

I never thought I'd find myself posting in the frog forum, but here goes. For those that don't know, chitrid fungus is thought to be responsible for many cases of amphibian decline.

NEWS RELEASE
The Center for North American Herpetology
Lawrence, Kansas
http://www.cnah.org
7 December 2004

Article Title: Origin of the Amphibian Chytrid Fungus

Authors: Ché Weldon, Louis H. du Preez, Alex D. Hyatt, Reinhold Muller, and Rick
Speare

Where published: Emerging Infectious Diseases 10(12): 2100-2105 (2004)

Abstract: The sudden appearance of chytridiomycosis, the cause of amphibian
deaths and population declines in several continents, suggests that its etiologic
agent, the chytrid Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, was introduced into the
affected regions. However, the origin of this virulent pathogen is unknown. A
survey was conducted of 697 archived specimens of 3 species of Xenopus
collected from 1879 to 1999 in southern Africa in which the histologic features
of the interdigital webbing were analyzed. The earliest case of chytridiomycosis
found was in a Xenopus laevis frog in 1938, and overall prevalence was 2.7%. The
prevalence showed no significant differences between species, regions, season,
or time period. Chytridiomycosis was a stable endemic infection in southern
Africa for 23 years before any positive specimen was found outside Africa. We
propose that Africa is the origin of the amphibian chytrid and that the
international trade in X. laevis that began in the mid-1930s was the means of
dissemination.

G

garrison

Wow, I can sort of believe it, but at the same time has Xenopus really been released or been in contact with all of the places where Chytridiomycosis has been found?

G

garrison

Huh, I forgot about the whole pregnancy test thing. Well, I guess if the fungus stays away from settled areas it only gives us more reason to try our best at captive breeding everything
biggrin.gif

E

edward

It does invade into the settled areas. Chytrid can be found in many regions of many countries at this point. I forget the location but it had now been documented from Asia.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1