Yellow spotted salamander

L

lauren

my partner and i brought a yellow spotted salamander from a local pet shop.it was in a tank with 4 other salamanders.we had him* about two weeks when we went to let him* out for a run we noticed a black sack in the tank.it was about 2cm wide and looked like a kidney bean.it was seeping what looked like dirt.have you any idea what this is.our salamander is quite fat compared 2 some we have seen.could it be pregnant or was it just its waste?

Hello, and welcome to the site. It sounds to me like it was just some fecal matter you found - my tiger sal's waste looks very much like what you described. As far as letting it out of the tank for a run, as long as you have a good sized tank that should'nt be neccesary. Being amphibians they can dry out/dessicate rapidly, so be careful. I hope you find this site informative, and ask whatever questions you may have
Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back