Yellow water

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
The water in my axie tanks is always a yellowish color. There is no wood in it. Just white sand, fake plants and some aquarium hides (and a moss ball).
It doesn't matter how many waterchanges I do... It's yellow and it won't go away.

It's just ugly and gross looking. Like someone took a pee in my tank...

How can I fix it.

Water parameters are fine, no sign of ammonia too.

Did you rinse the sand?

Have you tried stuffing an HOB filter with some filter wool and letting it run for a few days? Also you could try using some water clearer chemical as well.

Yes. I did rinse the sand. I have the sand for about two years now and the yellow-ness is like this for... 6 months or so.

@ Bdyoung: Do you mean dechlorinators and stuff? I use AquaSafe (Tetra) everytime I do water changes.

No I mean something like this. Also carbon is great for making water crystal clear.

Thanks, that looks awesome. Now let's hope I can find something like that over here.

I guess I needed some fresh carbon. Didn't know that it only works for a pretty short time.
So I bought some carbon and it looks like my water is less yellow right now. Works pretty fast I guess.
Thanks.

If its still yellow it might be your tap water (if you're using tap water). You could try buying natural spring water at the store. They can come in gallons for a pretty good price.

Yeah you should change carbon out bi-weekly if not weekly. You don't necessarily need carbon all the time though. Just in cases where your water isn't looking great.

I would say it could be tap water dis colouration as i get that sometimes. But it could be algae on the glass or in the water from excess nutrients and light??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back